This authentic Tortino de Carciofi (artichoke frittata) recipe comes from some of our Italian chefs at their gourmet cookery school in the heart of the Tuscany, so there’s not better place to find a traditional recipe for this Italian dish.
Once you’ve tried your hand at artichoke frittatas, you can join them for a gourmet Italian cookery holiday in gorgeous Tuscany, Italy.
Serves 4 people.
• 8 artichokes
• 6 eggs
• extra virgin olive oil
• 1 lemon
• salt and pepper in grain form
• 1 clove garlic
1. Clean the artichokes, discarding the harder leaves on the exterior, and cut off approximately 3 cm from the pointed top.
2. Peel the stalks, and cut into thin slices of approx 1/2 cm. Once peeled and cut, place them in a bowl of water.
3. Add the juice of 1 lemon into the water and let them soak for 10 minutes.
4. After the 10 minutes are up, dry them with a paper towel and toss them in the flour.
5. In a cake tin or oven pan, combine 4 tbsp oil, the artichokes and the squashed garlic clove. Brown this mixture until they are cooked well, making sure not to burn it.
6. After you have browned the artichokes, beat the eggs slightly with a pinch of salt.
7. From the artichoke/garlic mixture, remove the garlic clove, and place the egg mixture on top of the artichokes.
8. Add this to the oven until the eggs are cooked, but make sure not to overcook them. Check it every 5 to 10 minutes to gauge the cooking time.
9. Once out of the oven, add the pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice and garnish with some finely chopped parsley.
Interested in joining the professional chefs in Italy on a cookery holiday? Find out about their Gourmet Tuscan Cookery Holiday on our site and indulge your inner foodie.