This authentic Italian Tiramisu recipe comes straight from the kitchen of our Italian chef & cooking holiday host, Antonella.
“Tiramisu” actually translates to “Pick Me Up”, due to the sugar and caffeine in the recipe. This rich soft cake is served cold with a spoon.
Serves 6 people
• 3 large eggs, separated
• 3 tbsp fine sugar
• 250g mascarpone cheese
• 2 tbsp of a coffee liqueur or masala
• 500ml coffee
• 200g pavesini or lady finger cookies
• Cocoa powder
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is thick and pale. Add the mascarpone and keep whisking. Mix in the coffee liqueur and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt until firm.
- Using a spatula, gently fold them into the mascarpone mixture.
- Place the cold coffee in a shallow bowl. Dip the biscuits in the coffee then place them in the serving dish in a single layer. Pour the mascarpone mixture on top and repeat the process until all biscuits have been used. The last layer of the tiramisu is a layer of the mascarpone mixture.
- Cover the dish with cling film and chill for a few hours.
- Before serving, dust the tiramisu with cocoa powder or freshly grated chocolate. The end result is a soft, creamy dessert to be eaten with a spoon.