French Cooking and Wine Holiday
Immerse yourself in French life on this 5 night/6 day cooking & wine course that promises not only a cooking experience but also a cultural one; stay in a beautiful French house in the historical village of Gramont in Gascony & learn to cook typical French dishes using fresh ingredients.
Highlights of the Trip
- Includes many excursions which are based on local food and wine
- Learn to cook from two trained chefs during hands-on lessons
- Stay in a beautifully converted French farmhouse with a hot tub & terrace
Tucked away in the peaceful and historic village of Gramont in Gascony, this charming and tastefully restored French farmhouse is the setting for your French cooking and wine holiday experience.
Under the guidance of your English host Chef David and French Chef Bernard who both trained as chefs in France and are acclaimed in the area, you will immerse yourself in French life to discover the gastronomic and wine delights of this beautiful area of South West France.
The aim of the course is to give you the skills to cook a fabulous dinner party back home to impress even the most experienced foodies. You’ll learn to cook either in the kitchen of local restaurant the Auberge (“French farmhouse restaurant”) or in the kitchen at the main house. You’ll also have the opportunity to discover the wonderful wines of the South West France, the original wine region of France.
Combining fun hands-on French cooking lessons with culinary excursions and time to relax, this 5 night / 6 day French cookery and wine holiday promises not just a culinary experience but also a cultural one.
- 5 nights accommodation in a double ensuite room
- 5 cookery lessons with a professional chef
- Cooking lessons take place in the professional kitchen at the Auberge restaurant or in the purpose built teaching kitchen in the farmhouse either with Chef David or Chef Bernard
- All cooking materials, apron and ingredients
- Breakfast each morning
- Lunch each day at the farmhouse with lunch on day 2 in a traditional french Auberge
- A four course dinner on 3 evenings with wine, water and coffee
- 2 evenings dining at the traditional French Auberge, dinner includes wine and coffee
- A visit to the farmers market
- A tour of the Chateau de Gramont
- A visit to the Gramont wine museum which has the largest and most expensive collection of wine and wine memorabilia outside of Bordeaux; visit includes a tour of the wine museum
- A visit to the medieval fortified village of Larrissingle and the delightful village of la Romieu
- A visit to Condom and a tour of the local Armagnac distillery
- All transport for your afternoon or morning trips so a car is not necessary
- You can check in anytime after 2pm on Sunday and check-out by noon on Friday
What's Not Included
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses
Recommended by Alastair Sawday, this lovingly restored French farmhouse set in the peaceful village of Gramont surrounded by breathtaking views of the idyllic Gascony countryside is the setting for your French cookery holiday, only 50 minutes from Toulouse and less than two hours from Bordeaux, Bergerac and Carcassonne.
– Recommended in guidebook by guru Alastair Sawday
– Only 50 minutes from Toulouse in the village of Gramont
– Stay in a tastefully restored French farmhouse
– All rooms are twin/doubles with private bathrooms
– Air conditioning
– Just 5 guest rooms in the main house all with stunning South facing views with a gite next door for B&B guests
– WiFi available in the house but not in the guest bedrooms
– Your hosts have a cocker spaniel dog who is allowed in the house but never in the kitchen nor guest bedroom
– Terrace with breathtaking views
– Cook with one English and one French acclaimed chefs within the region
– Use locally grown, seasonal ingredients
– Taste wine produced locally
– A short walk from the local honey museum
– A few minutes from the Chateau de Gramont
– Set in the region acclaimed for its duck and goose dishes, Armagnac and Rose wine
– Fun and enthusiastic hosts your chefs David and Bernard will help make your stay a memorable one
– Also featured and highly acclaimed in Waitrose magazine
Please note that prices for the holidays do not include flights. We recommend using www.skyscanner.net to check flights.
Toulouse (65 km away 50 minutes from school)
Bergerac (100km 1hour 20mins), Bordeaux (140km 1 hour 50mins), Carcassonne (110km 1 hour 30mins)
Taxis can be expensive from Toulouse airport (as much as €220 Euros each way on a Sunday, or €170 during the week) so we recommend booking the transfer with this course which you can be arranged after booking.
Pre-booked return transfers:
Transfers can be added by arrangement to and from Toulouse airport – prices are based on up to 4 people sharing with reasonable luggage that will fit into a regular car. The price of the transfer is 70 euros each way but the price may be shared depending on how many people are travelling in the car. The cost of the transfer is paid locally but please enter your transfer requirements / arrival details in the ‘special requests’ box during the booking process.
Arrival transfers will be between 10.30am – 9pm, and departure transfers will be between 7.00am – midday (leaving from the cookery school).
By public transport:
From the central bus station in Toulouse you can take a take a bus to Toulouse airport for 5€ one way, where it can be pre-arranged for your hosts to collect you using the transfer service which you can add on at the time of booking.
Car hire and parking:
If you are arriving by car, full directions will be given on your booking voucher. A car will allow you to fully explore and appreciate the local area.
Parking is available at or near the school.
Full, detailed directions will be shown on your booking confirmation voucher.
Who is it suitable for?
– Suitable for all from beginners to experienced foodies
– Minimum age 17 with no upper age limit
– Your hosts are British and French so all cooking classes are taught in English and French
– Many people on the course travel solo and this course attracts guests from around the world for a wonderfully sociable and culinary experience
– All dietary requirements must be communicated at the time of booking
I’m travelling solo – can I join?
– Many solo guests travel on this cookery holiday and the groups are fun and sociable
– Each guest is allocated a private ensuite room and there is NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT
When can I start?
– The cooking course runs from April to September each year
– All arrivals are on Sunday
– Departures are on Friday
Restricted mobility access
Please find below some information regarding the accommodation and location of the holiday which may be useful when deciding if this is the right holiday for you; should you have an further questions, please contact us and we will be happy to help
– We generally do not recommend this location for those with restricted mobility, and there is no wheelchair accessibility
– The accommodation has one room (twin/double) available on the ground floor with 1 step to the room, and 1 low step to the shower; please feel free to ask if it is available