Enjoy outstanding photo opportunities in the Moroccan coastal town of Essaouira on this unique 7 night photography holiday; stay in a stunning Riad and photograph the vibrant North African landscape and culture taking your photography skills to a new level using a digital SLR camera or even a smart phone.
Feb 17th – 24th
March 11th – 18th
April 29 – May 6
May 20th – 27th
June 3 – 10
September 2 – 9
The holidays depart on Saturday and Dates in July and August are possible -on request.
Learn the true art of photography on this photographic holiday based in Essaouira, the heart of Morocco, famous for its history, maze of Souks, rich culture, stunning landscapes and bright North African colours and flavours.
As well as learning the fundamentals of photography, this holiday is a real opportunity to explore your creative side and the fascinating Moroccan culture, a chance to quietly study and absorb the richness of this enchanting town, allowing you to produce photographs that go far beyond the usual holiday snaps.
Accommodation is set in magnificent boutique Riad in the centre of Essaouira which boasts a lovely roof terrace ideal for enjoying warm evenings sat outside admiring, and even photographing, stunning sunset light over the town.
Get more from your Digital SLR camera, learn photography in Morocco, enjoy the warm hospitality of the locals and take home images from this beautiful area to treasure for a lifetime.
Stay in a traditional, beautifully decorated Moroccan Riad with roof terrace.
Comprehensive group and private tuition with an experienced tutor.
Ideal central Medina location close to the bustling souks and the beach.
Your Local Host:
British photography tutor Darren has been a photographer and filmmaker for over 25 years. With over 25 years’ experience working as a professional photographer, Darren has taught photography at all levels from beginners to degree level with a Masters in Photography and Filmmaking himself. Darren’s passion and understanding will help you expe Read More
– You’ll be collected from the airport and transferred to your accommodation in Essaouira
– You will have time to settle into your charming Moroccan Riad and soak up the atmosphere as you meet your tutor and the rest of the group
Accommodation – The riad of Maison du Sud is located 300m from the sea
– It’s a beautifully restored 18th-century hotel in the heart of the bustling medina
– Decorated in a tasteful Moorish style with modern comforts
– There are many quiet salons to relax in plus two large rooftop terraces where you can enjoy breakfast or a mint tea
– WiFi is provided on the ground floor
– All rooms are en-suite
Walking shoot of Essaouira & sunset photography
– Your course starts at 10am after breakfast with an introduction to camera fundamentals followed by a wander around the beautiful town of Essaouira, the home of your photography tutor and famous the world over
– Essaouira has stunning architecture, fishing ports and labyrinths of souks and bustling markets
– In your first day you’ll have 2 workshops either side of lunch on camera fundamentals (camera controls, exposure – ISO, shutter speed, aperture and histograms)
– In the late afternoon, you will have the chance to shoot some sunset photography
– Evening meals are not included but you’ll be given the option of different local recommended restaurants which will be reserved for you
– Your course starts after breakfast
– The focus of today’s tuition will be on 2 abstract workshops in the medina and port, focusing mostly on using depth of field and composition whilst building on the previous day’s learning
– You will also benefit from a group image review during the day to assess your progress, providing feedback on your images and taking your understanding a step further
– Your portrait photography class starts early at 10 after breakfast with a mixture of classroom and fieldwork
– Your host will take you to see Essaouira‘s traditional workers, friendly faces Darren knows, who you can practice your portrait photography skills on
– As well as some one to one tutorial time with your tutor, enjoy some free time this afternoon to practice your new found skills or if you prefer, head to the beach or to the souks for some shopping or if there is anything you wish to focus on in the remaining photography sessions
Visit to market & Argan co-operative
– Today will be given to exploring and photographing the Berber people at their weekly market and photographing Argan women workers at a countryside Argan co-operative
– After lunch you will have the afternoon free to explore, relax, visit the beach or practise your photography independently or you can take part in optional afternoon activities such as a cooking class(extra charges may apply)
– Take the opportunity of photographing the camels and horse riders on the beach at sunset
Essaouira off the beaten track
– Following breakfast your photography tuition will start at the Riad, with a review of the previous day’s images followed by today’s workshop which will be based on documentary style photography with a guided tutor led tour of the port
– After lunch there is a short trip outside the medina to see another side of Essaouira away from the tourist trail
– A group image review will be a chance to see where how you have progressed during the week and to showcase your work to rest of the group
– As on previous days you will have the evening free to dine as you wish
Practise skills & free time
– You will also have free time to practice your photography before lunch (lunch is at an extra cost)
– You will have the afternoon to photograph or relax independently and your tutor Darren has a host of suggestions of what to do in your free time
– Depending on how much energy you have you can perhaps try a cooking class, horse riding, a spot of shopping, visit a hamman, exploring the locals arts scene by visiting the galleries, take a music class in bongo drums, see how local silver and wood products are made and more or if you prefer, just relax on the beach
– Before lunch you will check out of the Riad in time to be taken to the airport for your return flight
Because I have been taking photographs for over 60 years I was not sure exactly what to expect as well as how much I would actually learn, from my week in Morocco. I need not to have concerned myself as tutor Darren was marvellous (very knowledgeable...
Because I have been taking photographs for over 60 years I was not sure exactly what to expect as well as how much I would actually learn, from my week in Morocco. I need not to have concerned myself as tutor Darren was marvellous (very knowledgeable and a nice chap too!). I learnt a lot about using 'Lightroom' the photo manipulating software (plus other things) and because of Darren's help in 'opening doors' to many local people I was able to come home with lots of super pictures, many of which I would not have obtained without this help and encouragement. Also, his advice about the local places in which to eat each evening meant that we all enjoyed our restaurant foods, and some of us (me!) put on weight. Because he was so patient, enthusiastic and well informed I would recommend a week with him to anyone of any level from novice to the more advanced/accomplished photo enthusiast. The booking and travel all went smoothly too.
This holiday is set in bustling Essaouira, on Morocco’s Atlantic coast just 2.5 hours from Marrakech. Essaouira is a safe and friendly coastal city with a small town feel.
You’ll stay in an enchanting boutique Riad in the centre, which is just 300m from the beach and in the heart of the Medina. The sunny roof terrace providing the perfect place to sit back and relax with a Moroccan mint tea. Many facilities nearby include outdoor markets, restaurants and cafes.
Please note that prices for the holidays do not include flights. We recommend using www.skyscanner.net to check flights.
Essaouira or Marrakech (2 hours 30 mins drive away from Essaouira)
Agadir, (3 hours)
From Essaouira: please note that return transfers to and from Essaouira are included in the price at any time.
7 nights accommodation in a Moroccan Riad, the Maison du Sud
Single travellers will have a private twin/double room with NO additional single supplements
5 days of photography tuition (approx. 5 hours per day starting on day 2)
Your photography tuition includes 2 one-on-one sessions with your tutor
Photography activities include, sunset photography, visit to a countryside market, tour of the Souks and fishing port, a women's Argan oil production cooperative
Photo genres include: Abstract, architecture, street photography, seascapes and portraits of local people
Lunch is taken out on location and is not included in the price (but should be inexpensive)
All transport (where necessary) to each photography session
A return airport transfer to your accommodation from Essaouira at any time or Marrakech airport if you arrive between approximately 6-8pm (a supplement applies for arrivals and departures outside of these times)
- Suitable for all levels from beginners to advanced
- The aim of this holiday for beginners is to learn more about their cameras and how to take better photographs
- The aim of this holiday for more experienced photographers is to have the chance to see fascinating and vibrant locations in a country that needs some inside knowledge and guiding with the help of tutor Darren
- Minimum age 18 with no upper age limit (younger students welcome if accompanied by an adult, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for availability)
- The course is mainly focused on digital SLR photography and we strongly recommend you bring your own Digital SLR camera with you
- If you do not have a DSLR, there is a digital SLR with a 18-250mm lens available at the school for hire which costs £65 for the week (to be paid locally); please contact us in advance of booking to check availability to reserve hire of the school’s camera
- If you would like advice on which DSLR camera to buy before your holiday, your tutor will be happy to advise once the holiday has been confirmed
- This photography and culture holiday makes a great singles holiday as there are no single supplements
- Courses have a maximum of 6 people in each group, singles are very welcome as you'll meet others with similar interests
- Essaouira is very relaxed and welcoming town with a great Bohemian feel because of its music and art scene
- The majority of people who take these courses are solo travellers and everyone loves the location and the social aspect of this course
- You’ll be guided on your cultural afternoons so you’re never far from a friendly face
- Photography courses start on selected Saturdays throughout the year
- Bring your own digital camera, manual, charger, memory cards, tripod, filters and flash if you have them (we strongly recommend a digital SLR camera to get the most out of the course)
- Point and shoot camera if you have one
- You may be able to borrow the digital SLR at the school but please enquire about availability before you book
- Please bring suitable footwear for walking as you will be spending a lot of time exploring the different areas and also a sun hat
- All breakfasts are included daily
- Lunches are taken out on location and are not included in the price but are typically inexpensive in Morocco
From Marrakech: return transfers from Marrakech Airport are included in the price if your arrival and departure times are as follows:
Arrival - pick up between approximately 6pm and 8pm from the airport
Departure - drop off arriving at the airport at approximately 6pm and 8pm
Please note that in the event of small group numbers, participants may be expected to share transfers from Marrakech which may mean arriving at the airport in good time for the flight.
Any arrivals or departures outside these times are charged at £65.