Cooking and Wine-Tasting in Tuscany
Promising to be not only a cooking experience but also a cultural one, this family-run 7 night Italian cooking and wine holiday near Lucca has hands-on lessons to learn delicious rustic Italian meals and recipes while visiting culinary highlights such as local markets and vineyards!
Highlights of the Trip
- Stay in the charming town of Barga overlooking stunning scenery.
- Visit beautiful medieval market towns in the surrounding area.
- Includes all meals, accommodation & return airport transfers from Pisa.
Join this 7 night / 8 day Italian cooking and wine holiday in this amazing, lush part of Northern Tuscany where you will be welcomed by your hosts, Rita and Alex, for a truly authentic and memorable holiday experience.
During 3 hands-on Italian cooking lessons, you will learn how to make delicious rustic classics from ragu, salsa di pomodoro and ravioli to traditional soups, pies and desserts. As well as fish based dinner, pizza, focaccia and tiramisu!
Combining cooking and wine makes for the perfect marriage as we learn all the basic Italian cooking techniques and traditions that ‘la bella’ Garfagnana and Serchio Valley has to offer.
Through the additional cultural element of the holiday, you will visit the fresh local markets, wander the streets of Barga, known as one of the prettiest villages in Italy, and visit Lucca, known for its intact Renaissance-era city walls. You’ll also hit a local vineyard where you’ll be given a tour & learn everything you need to know about local Tuscan wine.
This week long Italian cookery holiday also gives you the chance to brush up on your Italian language skills if you wish. Language teacher, Alessia, will be there to guide you through a relaxed and informal Italian conversation lesson. Or you can simply take the afternoon off to relax if you prefer.
- 7 nights accommodation at the B&B in a private ensuite room
- 4, 3/4 hour hands-on Italian cookery lessons
- Transfers to and from Pisa International Airport (on first and last course days only)
- Each breakfast, lunch and dinner (Day 1 dinner only, Day 8 breakfast only)
- Wine and soft drinks included at all meals
- WiFi access
- Trips to Barga, Lucca and Pisa local markets
- Various trips to local places of interest in Tuscany including trip to the vineyard, local flour mill and cheese tasting
- Wine tasting at with Alex and Rita
- A 3/4 hour conversational Italian language lesson
- All transport during the excursions
- Free time to relax and explore the area
- You can check in any time after 12pm on day 1 and check-out by 11am on day 8
What's Not Included
- Personal insurance
Join us in our Italian cookery and wine tasting holiday in this amazing, lush part of Northern Tuscany. Combining cooking and wine makes for the perfect marriage as we learn all the basic Italian cooking techniques and traditions that la bella “Garfagnana and Serchio Valley” has to offer.
The family run cookery school is situated on the edge of the Garfagnana and 36 km from the city of Lucca. It is only 250 metres from the train station of Barga-Gallicano, a strategic position for visiting the nearby towns of Lucca, Pisa, Florence and the famous Versilia. Pisa International airport is also just 90 minutes away.
The area is alive with concerts, folk festivals, outdoor food festivals (where you can savour local products), theatre, Barga Jazz and the Opera Barga, all that run throughout the year. The structure of this charming bed and breakfast has small apartments with kitchen, kitchenette and ensuite rooms. You can enjoy tasty local cuisine in the Crescent restaurant and relax on the spacious veranda with views of the Apuan Alps.
– 1.5 hours from Pisa International Airport
– Near to the medieval towns of Lucca, Pisa, Florence and Versilia
– Surrounded by the Apuan Alps and Garfagnana Valley
– Wonderful Terrace surrounded by mountains to relax on
– Local bar and restaurant on site
– Pets welcome
– Plenty of free parking
– Wheelchair accessible
– Italian, English and French speaking hosts with a wealth of knowledge about the area
– Delicious local food and wine
– Each room is spacious and has a private bathroom
Please note that prices for the holidays do not include flights. We recommend using www.skyscanner.net to check flights.
Pisa International (1 hour, 30 minutes away)
Complimentary return transfers:
Return transfers from Pisa Airport to the cookery school are included in the price. The transfer may be in private car or shared minibus, depending on amount of people.
Please note, this complimentary service can only be offered on the first and last day of the holiday. For transfers on other days, there will be a charge of €50 each way.
If you would like to travel by car, full details and directions will be given after booking.
The nearest train station is Barga Gallicano, which is around 250 metres from the school, which will take 2 hours and 43 minutes from Pisa.
To check trains, we recommend you look at www.trenitalia.com.
Who is it suitable for?
– Italian cookery holidays are suitable for all levels from complete beginners to experienced cooks but are probably more suited to those who wish to learn the foundations of Italian cuisine
– Minimum age 18 (under 18s must be accompanied by an adult)
– Your hosts are Italian but also fluent in English and French
– Cooking classes are taught in English
When can I start?
– All arrivals are on set dates between April and October
– It may be possible to arrange cookery holidays in the winter months, to check availability, email [email protected] with your preferred date
– Cooking holidays are for 7 nights/8 days
– If you wish to stay for extra nights, please email to check availability for your preferred duration and we will do our best to accommodate you
Where will I be staying?
– You will stay in either the hotel rooms or small apartments each with a private bathroom
– The rooms are spacious and some have a magnificent view overlooking the Apuan Mountains
– All rooms have a traditional Italian sized double bed
– There is 1 double room with an ensuite bathroom & 4 single rooms with ensuite bathrooms
– Accommodation is included for 7 nights / 8 days
– Check in anytime after 12pm on day 1 and check out by 11am on day 8
Restricted mobility access
Please find below some information regarding the accommodation and location of the holiday which may be useful when deciding if this is the right holiday for you; should you have an further questions, please contact us and we will be happy to help
– Accommodation is available on the ground floor with a walk-in shower
– There is a ramp to get into the restaurant
– There are many cobbled streets in Barga, so the Cathedral can be challenging; however there are plenty of other charming areas in Barga to explore