Marrow, coconut & lemongrass soup
This gourmet marrow, coconut, and lemongrass soup recipe comes straight from the professional kitchen of our hosts Freya and Chef Maynard at their gourmet cookery school in the heart of the Loire Valley.
Once you’ve sampled their amazing recipes, you can join them for a gourmet cookery holiday in France – the home of gourmet cuisine – to try your hand at even more complex dishes.
- 1 can 450g coconut milk
- 2 lemon grass stalks
- 50g fresh ginger
- 2 onions
- 8 medium mushrooms
- 500g marrow
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 20g palm sugar
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 to 6 red chilli’s
- 200ml either chicken or vegetable stock
- fresh coriander for garnish
1. Peel off the outer leaves of the lemon grass so you have just the soft inner white part and cut these into roughly 6cm lengths. Peel the ginger & chop it roughly. Pound the chopped ginger in a mortar and pestle to release the juices. Then, heat the coconut milk in a saucepan and add the lemon grass, ginger, fish sauce and palm sugar, bringing the mixture to a boil before allowing it to simmer very gently for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, slice the onions and crush the garlic. Cut the marrow into cubes around 2cm square, and slice the mushrooms. Then, heat a wok or large frying pan, add a little vegetable oil and fry the onions for about a minute before adding the marrow & mushrooms. Continue to fry for another minute and then add the garlic. Take the entire wok off the heat just before the vegetables are completely cooked through.
3. Add the infused coconut milk to the vegetables, straining it through a sieve to remove the lemongrass and ginger. Add the stock (we use chicken stock but if you prefer you can use vegetable stock to have a vegetarian dish), lime juice, and roughly chopped chilli and bring back to the boil. Once it boils, turn off the heat and serve immediately, garnished with roughly chopped coriander.
This is a quick easy soup full of fresh flavours, perfect for a summer lunch.
Chef Maynard recommends creating and serving this soup immediately retain the freshness of flavour and the ideal texture of the marrows.
More about cooking with Chef Maynard…
Interested in joining this acclaimed chef for an immersive cooking experience? Find out more about his Gourmet Cookery Holiday and indulge your inner foodie.