Jo Dombernowsky’s Quinoa salad recipe
Chef, Pilates teacher and nutritionist at our yoga and Pilates retreat in Fuerteventura, Jo Dombernowsky is a walking advert for living and eating healthily.
Jo has just published her first cook book and has been sharing with us how to prepare truly healthy and delicious packed lunches.
Today we have a fresh summer salad – perfect for a BBQ side, picnic or healthy packed lunch. And to top it off, it’s vegan and gluten free.
Quinoa salad with walnuts recipe
½ tsp sea salt
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated
½ cucumber – chopped
A handful of sunflower seeds
A handful of walnuts
A handful of coriander, finely chopped
For the dressing:
3-4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1) To cook the quinoa, use 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water.
2) Rinse the quinoa well under the running water.
3) Combine quinoa, water & sea salt (optional: add a piece of kombu seaweed).
4) Cover, bring to the boil and lower the heat to a minimum. Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more water if necessary. The quinoa is done when the ‘spiral’ has opened.
5) Set aside with the lid on for 5 minutes.
6) Toast the sunflower seeds on a medium heat in a dry pan until they start to brown then set aside.
7) In a salad bowl, combine the quinoa, vegetables, seeds and nuts.
8) Whisk the dressing; add to the salad and mix.