Truffle Hunting and Cookery Holiday
A fantastic 3 night truffle hunting & cookery holiday near Arezzo all about delicious locally produced food, great local wines & cultural tours; forage in the woods with your expert guide & trained dog to find truffles before preparing truffle inspired dishes during hands-on cooking lessons.
Highlights of the Trip
- Go truffle hunting and find your own truffles!
- Learn all the secrets of cooking with truffles from a variety of recipes.
- Guided tour of the Arezzo and Tiberina Valley.
*The cooking school is closed during January and February, 2019.
The charming region of Tuscany, renowned for its delicious food and fine wines, will be the setting of this 3 night/4 day truffle cooking holiday, tucked away on a wonderful Italian farm, nestled in the surrounding hills and valleys just 6km from the historic city of Arezzo.
During this memorable truffle hunting and cooking (with a bit of extra culture!) holiday, your host and Chef, Fabrizio, will be on hand to ensure every element of your holiday delights you to ensure you return feeling relaxed and inspired by mouth-watering Italian cooking, with a great collection of new recipes and techniques to show your friends and family.
You’ll acquire great knowledge of the surrounding area and its culture & history during a guided tour of Arezzo and the Tiberina Valley. As well as all about truffles and how they are found when you head out for a woodland walk with your guide and trained dog to hunt for these precious truffles.
Once back at the farm, Chef Fabrizio will take you to the kitchen and lead you through hands-on cookery lessons where you will prepare, and then eat, truffle inspired recipes based on traditional Italian cuisine.
- Please note: A minimum of 2 people are required for this course to run
- 3 nights accommodation in a twin/double apartment with private bathroom
- 2 cooking classes (preparation of 3/4 course meal with drinks) on days 1 and 3
- 1 Truffle hunting/foraging excursion
- 1 Guided tour of a nearby town
- All lunches and dinners throughout your stay (please note that some meals are taken in local restaurants where soft drinks are included but wine is extra)
- Breakfast each day at the house
- Prosecco tasting on your arrival evening
- Return transfer to and from Arezzo train station
- You can check in any time after 12 pm on day 1 and check-out by 11am on day 4
What's Not Included
Enjoy a cookery holiday set in the heart of Tuscany just 6km outside of the historic Etruscan and Roman city of Arezzo which is nestled within easy reach of the more well-known towns of Siena and Florence.
Escape the city and immerse yourself in the stillness and beauty of the Tuscan countryside. You’ll stay in a former farmhouse, perched on a hillside with panoramic views. This area is not only famous for its food but is also the perfect location in which to enjoy hiking, biking or even horse riding along the countryside trails that surround the farmhouse.
This former working farmhouse has been divided into 3 lovely apartments all boasting their own terrace. Traditionally furnished, they offer comfortable rooms for all guests with the added benefit of private kitchen areas and living areas.
Relax in the well maintained gardens and enjoy the breathtaking view over the gentle hills of Tuscany or enjoy a dip in the warm waters of the swimming pool in between cooking your delicious Tuscan dinner.
Who is it suitable for?
– This cookery holiday is suitable for all levels from complete beginners to experienced cooks
– Minimum age 18 (under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult)
– Your hosts are Italian, however so all cooking classes are taught in English
I’m travelling solo – can I join?
– These cookery holidays make great singles holidays and singles are welcome to join an existing group
– Solo travellers can book a twin/double room for sole use for NO supplement
– To book a private single or shared room, email [email protected] or contact us via live chat (click on the ‘start chat’ link at the bottom of this page) or call us to check availability
When can I start?
– Holidays can start on any day from March to November depending on availability
– Please note: truffle hunting is not permitted in July & August in Italy so the holiday won’t take place at that time
– The cookery school is closed in January and February
– Cooking holidays are for 3 nights/4 days
– If you wish to stay for extra nights, please email to check availability for your preferred duration and we will do our best to accommodate you
– If dates appear ‘on request’, please email us and we’ll check availability for your preferred day of arrival as quickly as possible
About Chef Fabrizio and your hosts
– Fabrizio was born in the Tuscan wine region of Arezzo in the 70’s and grew up surrounded by vineyards and olive groves and under the influence of his mother and grandmother, grew to love food and cooking
– After obtaining a degree, he went to a hotel school in Tuscany before deciding to move to Bournemouth in the UK to work as a Chef
– After that, the travel bug bit and he moved to various countries around the world to cook and experience new cultures, learn about different food and techniques in places as far afield as India, Thailand and Morocco
– Despite his travel and experience, he credits his mother and grandmother as the ‘gurus of traditional cooking’ where he learnt his Tuscan cooking skills and passion for quality, organic, seasonal food
– His family are local producers of Chianti and extra virgin olive oil and you’ll have the chance to taste these during your stay!
What will I learn?
– In a group of no more than 8 people, you will learn all about organic, local, seasonal produce from the region, the art of truffle hunting with trained guides and dogs, and how to cook dishes on your own from start to finish
– You’ll also learn about the history of this wonderful area of Tuscany
Sample dishes may include:
– Tagliolini al tartufo
– Fettuccini alla carbonara con tartufo nero
– Risotto con funghi porcini
– Pappardelle with wild boar
– Cannelloni with hare
– Lasagne al tartufo
– Tagliata di chianina with truffle
– Scaloppini with wild mushroom
– Stuffed chicken with truffle
– Wild hare sautéed with rosemary & juniper
Are meals included?
– All meals are included during your stay
– Meals can be prepared by Chef Fabrizio, eaten in local restaurants or even prepared by you during a cookery lesson
– If you have dietary requests, these must be communicated to us at the time of booking or received at least one week before
What can I do in my free time?
– Relax and enjoy the surroundings of the farmhouse, or take a dip in the outdoor swimming pool
– The proximity to Arezzo makes the farm’s position ideal for visiting other artistic and culinary towns in Tuscany
– Try some of the local wineries or take a nice hike or cycle ride