The Great British Bake Off series 4 episode 8 – unconventional flours
Last night’s Great British Bake Off was all gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, everything-free. What a challenge!
But we bet Jo Dombernowsky, our in-house nutrition advisor and resident chef at this yoga and Pilates retreat in Fuerteventura, could easily bake up 20 everything-free dishes in a jiffy. God knows she gets lots of practice, cooking up delicious, healthy food all week for all the guests at the retreat.
One look at Jo immediately inspires you to eat healthy. Nutritionist, author and busy working mum, Jo takes a vibrant, holistic approach to preparing healthy food.
Healthy but delicious
Unfortunately, the most delicious food always seems to be the least healthy. #WoesOfMyLife. Fortunately, Jo has unravelled the secrets behind healthy and delicious food. The minister who married health and taste.
She manages to design whole menus that help you to stick to a healthy diets, simply because everything is so delicious.
We witnessed this for ourselves at a recent cookery course with her. Cinnamon apples with peanut sauce. Quinoa cake. Avocado chocolate mousse. It was a delicious evening. We ate so much, but still left feeling slim and healthy.
- Spelt bread – didn’t someone bake this on GBBO last night? Here’s a simple recipe. It might not be as pretty as the things that the Bake Off Tent produces, but it’s a good start.
- Avocado chocolate mousse, the lightest and fluffiest chocolate mousse that is healthy at the same time.
- Quinoa salad that will turn you into Gwyneth Paltrow.
She’s even published her own cookbook recently, “Truly Healthy, Truly Delicious”. The marriage certificate that should be in every kitchen.
Simple but effective nutritional principles
- All vegetarian. It is a myth that vegetable protein is not good quality protein. If you know how to combine foods, vegetable protein can be superior to animal protein.
- Only whole grains. Approximately 90% of all vitamins, minerals and fibre are removed in refined grains. Refined grains steal nutrients from the body. STAY AWAY.
- Sweeten cakes and desserts with the most natural sweeteners – so they’re healthy, but still taste like cake. Check out her date puree recipe here.
Jo, infinitely knowledgeable about healthy eating, has so much to share with you. Visit her on a yoga and Pilates holiday in Fuereventura. Eat healthy for a week. Come back fresh, radiant and inspired to eat healthy for the rest of your life.
Not everything that comes out of the oven has to be unhealthy. Here’s our challenge: can you think of healthy alternatives to some of the goodies baked by the Great British Bake Off contestants?