Weekend Horse Riding Trip
Spend 4 nights in the spa town of Lanjaron near Granada and enjoy 3 full days trekking on horseback through the stunning Sierra Nevada Mountains where you’ll have the chance to stay 2 nights in a remote mountain cottage to enjoy some of the best horse riding Spain has to offer!
Highlights of the Trip
- Trek for up to 8 hours in the stunning Sierra Nevada Mountains.
- Stay 2 nights a rural mountain cottage during your treks.
- Set in a pretty spa town famous for its mineral water.
Take advantage of the incredible surroundings of the Alpujarra hills and Sierra Nevada Mountains on this great horse riding holiday in Spain. Stay for 4 nights and enjoy 3 full days trekking in the area, spending 2 nights in remote mountain cottages for a horse riding holiday with a difference.
Your base either be a Spanish farmhouse near the spa town of Lanjaron or a friendly local Hotel with the town. People are drawn by the fresh air, the natural environment and the magnificent Sierra Nevada Mountains and indeed flock from afar to sample the water which is said to contain minerals for eternal youth and which is bottled and sold throughout Spain!
This fun horse riding holiday in Spain will take you out on treks to enjoy a wide choice of easy hacks right through to challenging trail rides in this spectacular area of Southern Spain.
With the stables situated 1023 metres above the wonderful town of Lanjaron, during your treks you will see some of the most incredible views of the surrounding Andalucían countryside, with the coastline of Africa visible on very clear days.
You will follow old Moorish mule paths and valleys where the horse, mule or oxen still to this day pull the plough to harvest the earth’s crops. This horse riding holiday is more than just a horse riding holiday, but a chance to discover the remarkable Andalucían scenery and to immerse yourself in the culture where even today, tradition remains very much part of everyday life.
- Accommodation in a twin/double room at the Casa Del Viento for a total of 2 nights on night 1 and 4
- Please note: Prices are based on 2 sharing a room, singles will be allocated a twin room sharing with another guest of the same sex for no supplement. Private single rooms can be booked and a compulsory single room supplement must be added at the time of booking for a single room
- You can check in any time after 2pm on day 1 and check-out is by noon on day 5
- 2 nights in a mountain cottage with shared bathroom during your 3 day treks
- For the nights in the mountain cottages you will have your own room but may share a bathroom
- Breakfast and dinner each day
- A packed lunch whilst out trekking on days 2 and 3
- Day 2, 3 and 4 up to 8 hours trekking depending on your stamina and riding experience
- All horse riding equipment (please bring suitable clothing for riding)
- Please note: Although the riding school have a wide range of horses to choose to ride, the horses on our Horse riding holidays unfortunately cannot take riders over 15.8 stone (100kg)
What's Not Included
This unique trekking centre has the Alpujarra hills and Sierra Nevada mountains right on the doorstep offering a wide choice of easy hacks right through to challenging trail rides in this spectacular area of Southern Spain.
Your host and riding teacher Sarah established the riding centre back in 1993. Since then it has grown to become one of the leading and most well-known equestrian centres in Andalucia. Due to the stunning countryside and mountain trails, trekking is a big focus here and you can ride to your heart’s content.
The riding centre is a few minutes from the pretty spa town of Lanjaron bursting with Moorish influences. People come here to drink the water which is said to contain minerals for eternal youth. Nearby is Orgiva, a busy market town with bustling tapas bars and small streets to discover.
Accommodation depends on the course you’ve booked but everyone spends at least 2 nights at the pretty Spanish farmhouse accommodation ‘Casa del Viento’ which is surrounded by olive trees, oranges, almonds and flowers and boasts a swimming pool, sun terrace, barbecue area, sun beds and stunning views over the village and mountains. Your welcoming host Sarah lives next door with her family and during the hot summer evenings, Sarah will often host paella nights, tapas evenings and barbecues for the guests.
– Located around 1.5 hours by bus from Granada airport in the Sierra Nevada mountains
– Around 3 hours from Malaga by public transport (less by car)
– Stunning scenery with views across to Africa
– Pass through different terrain each day of your ride
– Chance to stay in traditional mountain cottages for those staying longer than 2 nights
– Swimming pool at Casa del Viento surrounded by olive trees and citrus groves
– Friendly and welcoming family run Spanish farmhouse accommodation with great local food
– Many vegetables grown in the garden around Casa del Viento
– Bar and barbecue area, sunbeds and terrace at Casa del Viento
– Ride for up to 8 hours each day if you wish
– Plenty of opportunities to canter and gallop
– Ride up to altitudes of 2000 metres in the mountains
– 1200m above the spa town of Lanjaron where the water is said to contain minerals for eternal youth
– Near to the busy market town of Orgiva boasting many bustling tapas bars
– Visit the amazing Moorish castle of Lanjaron.
– Casa del Viento accommodation provides WiFi
– Your hosts have cats and dogs who come into communal areas
Granada (45 minutes) or Malaga (90 minutes)
Airport transfers can be arranged at an additional cost (paid locally):
Malaga: 90 euros transfers each way per car for up to four persons
Granada: 45 euros transfers each way per car for up to four persons
From airport to school by bus:
A cheap and reliable bus service runs from Granada to the nearby village of Lanjaron takes around 1.5 hours and on arrival at the village you’ll be collected by your hosts and driven to the house. You can also get a bus from Malaga to Granada and change for the bus to Lanjaron (takes about 3 hours).
Pick-up from Lanjaron:
To organise a pick-up from the village of Lanjaron to the accommodation, please call your host Sarah when you are in Malaga or Granada with your expected arrival time to ensure someone is there to meet you.
Who is this suitable for?
– Horse riding is suitable for all levels from complete beginners to advanced riders
– Minimum age: 7 (children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult and children under 14 must be supervised on a ratio of 1 adult to 1 child) with no upper age limit
– Your hosts speak both English and Spanish
– Please note: Although the riding school have a wide range of horses to choose to ride, the horses on our Horse riding holidays unfortunately cannot take riders over 15.8 stone (100kg)
I’m travelling solo – can I join?
– These horse riding holidays in Spain make perfect singles holidays, you’ll meet like-minded people
– Singles will be allocated a twin room sharing with another guest of the same sex for no supplement but private single rooms can be booked, and a compulsory single room supplement must be added at the time of booking for a single room
When can I start?
– You can arrive on any day of the week you choose and will stay for 4 nights / 5 days
– You will stay in Farmhouse or Hotel accommodation on nights 1, 2 and 4
– Night 3 will be spent in a mountain cottage. Please note that the mountain cottages are basic but clean, warm and comfortable and typical of a 1* hotel
– Shorter and longer breaks at this location are also available
What will I learn?
– You will spend your days trekking through the hills and mountains, your instructor will guide you in the basics of riding if you are a beginner to help you develop your balance and control over the horse to help to create a harmony between yourself and the horse
– As an intermediate to advanced rider you will have the chance to develop your existing skills with plenty of opportunity to canter and gallop
About the equestrian centre and your tutor
In 1993, Sarah set up a riding center in the beautiful Andalucia region of Spain and has never looked back.
-Since then it has grown to become one of the leading and most well-known equestrian centres in Andalucia with between 16-30 horses depending on the time of year
Sarah was born in the New Forest, England and has ridden all her life. Sarah owns and runs the trekking centre and is a qualified horse riding guide and instructor and she lives at the ranch with her family.
– The stables are situated on a small plateau at a height of 1023 metres above the spa town of Lanjaron in the Las Alpujarras region of Andalucia, close to Granada, Spain
– Due to the stunning countryside and mountain trails, trekking is a big focus here and you can ride to your heart’s content
About the horses
– The centre has around 25 horses varying in ages to suit the beginner and advanced rider
– The horses range in height from the smallest horse at 12hh to horses up to 16’3hh
– The horses are mainly purebred Andalusians and Andalusian crosses with arabs as well as cobs, merens and percherons
– The horses are well trained, schooled and suitable for all levels of riders from beginners to advanced
– Please note that groups with more beginners will have a higher ratio of instructors to riders (usually 1 to 4)
Mountain cottage accommodation
– During your treks you’ll stay in a basic mountain cottage
– Shared rooms with other guests of the same gender, or possible single supplement for your own room
– The cottages are basic but warm, clean and comfortable and are typically equivalent to a 1 star hotel
Are meals included?
– All meals are included throughout your stay
– You’ll have a picnic lunch during your treks and a Spanish breakfast and full dinner each day
– Where possible, the food is prepared with many of the vegetables and herbs grown locally.