Artisan Bread Baking Course
Join this 4 night artisan bread baking course in the host's very own micro-bakery in the hills of Andalucia, just 30 minutes from the vibrant city of Granada; roll up your sleeves and get hands-on to prepare your own artisan loaves from start to finish and learn the tricks of the trade.
Highlights of the Trip
- Stay in a family run B&B accommodation in your own ensuite room.
- Learn to cook sourdough bread, baguettes, croissants & pain au chocolat.
- Great base under an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains and Granada.
If you have been wanting to master the art of baking your own bread and love sourdough and croissants, this is the getaway for you. Head to this private artisan micro-bakery in the heart of Andalucia, roll up your sleeves and learn all the tricks of the trade!
Although the perfect loaf may look difficult, it is just about finding the right ingredients, learning timing, some additional skills and patience. Follow this 3 day course and you could be well on your way to discovering a new hobby and you will never have to buy your bread again.
The bakery is an authentic, family-run business, and your classes will leave no stone unturned – you will be walked through the process from start to finish for 3 days until you have mastered your techniques and perfected the craft of sourdough.
Your hosts and bakers, Lydia and Mike, will guide you through making your own sourdough loaves as well as baguettes and the process of laminating dough with butter to create specialties like croissants, pain aux raisins and pain au chocolat.
This 3 day course is a far cry from anything you’ll find on YouTube – hands-on, bespoke tuition will provide you with everything you need to know to easily bake top-quality artisan products at home with the most basic of equipment.
Classes are kept small, with a maximum of 4 people, to ensure individual attention and guidance and each guest is equipped with recipes, a notebook and apron on arrival.
Your 4 night accommodation will be in the family owned casa, with your own private ensuite room, where you will be welcomed like one of the family yet given privacy and space whenever you need it. There are plenty of spaces to curl up with a good book and take in some sun, and a sunny terrace for one of the family’s delicious homemade international dinners with regional wine.
If you brought a car, you’ll have plenty of spare time to visit Granada, the Sierra Nevada National Park, and the beaches of the Costa del Sol. If you’re an avid hiker or cyclist, this is the perfect region for you to explore without a car and take in the abundance of nature this area has to offer.
- 4 nights accommodation in either a single or double ensuite room
- Please note: prices are per person and there are no single supplements for solo travellers
- 3 day complete sourdough course (15.5 hours) covering all aspects from obtaining ingredients, baking through to storage
- Apron, recipes and notebook upon arrival
- All meals including breakfasts, lunches and dinners
- Snacks and refreshments served throughout the days
- Sourdough culture to take home with you
- Check in any time after 4pm on Sunday and check out by noon on day Thursday
- Please note a car hire is essential for this holiday to make the most out of the area
What's Not Included
- Personal Expenses
This unique baking course, tucked away off the beaten track in the village of Saleres in the spectacular heart of Andalucia, is set in a micro-bakery with charming accommodation in the baker’s family home. Come get your hands dirty and learn all of the secrets to perfecting sourdough while staying in a whitewashed village surrounded by olive groves and mountains, just a short drive away from bustling Granada.
– Accommodation in a lovely family home in a traditional townhouse in the unspoilt Lecrin Valley near Granada
– Stay in a lovely ensuite single or double room, with built in wardrobes and stunning views
– Enjoy one of 3 terraces to relax, sun, or enjoy a meal on
– Saleres is arguably the most authentic of the once-Moorish villages in the Valley
– Plenty of opportunities to stroll around the fruit groves or along the footpath by the river
– Andalucia’s 1,250 kilometre GR7 footpath passes directly through Saleres, offering spectacular views
– The Alhambra and historic Albaycin are a 30 minute drive, the Sierra Nevada ski centre is 45 minutes, the whitewashed towns of the Alpujarra are from 30 minutes, and the unspoilt beaches of the Costa Tropical are 30 minutes
Please note that prices for the holidays do not include flights. We recommend using www.skyscanner.net to check flights.
Granada (around 40 minutes away by car)
Malaga (around 1.5 hours by car)
To take advantage of the surrounding area and your free time on this holiday, we strongly recommend you hire a car to get there and get around. Detailed directions and addresses will be provided after booking.
Although the holiday is set in a remote location, it is possible to get there via public transport without hiring a car.
Transfers can be provided from both the bus station and airport in Granada.
A transfer from Granada Bus Station is 60 Euro for a return trip (30 minutes each way) per car.
A transfer from Granada Airport is 80 Euro for a return trip (45 minutes each way) per car.
A transfer from Malaga Airport is 160 Euro for a return trip (90 minutes each way) per car.
Alternatively, you can take an air-conditioned intercity bus from Malaga Airport to Granada for a low price and pick up the transfer from there.
Please note that making artisan bread is a long slow process, so lessons are nothing like the cookery lessons you normally come across. Not that it is ever boring – it is always good fun. It may look quite intensive (your hosts aim to give guests plenty of opportunity to master steps) but there is always lots of time during the preparation to go for a stroll around the pueblo or the campo, lounge on the terrace, take in some Netflix or have a nap!
Who is this suitable for?
– All levels from beginner to advanced bakers welcome
– Minimum age 18 with no upper age limit (under 18s accepted accompanied by an adult)
– All classes are taught in English
About the cooking school
– This is a small, family-run bakery specializing in all things sourdough started by husband and wife, Lydia and Mike
– This school is a working micro-bakery which is separate from the main kitchen of the house
– It is perfectly fitted with hardwood topped, stainless steel catering tables, shelving, cleaning facilities, Rofco bread oven, and all the tools, equipment and best ingredients you will need to create perfect sourdough
– This is school caters up to four ‘bakers’ at a time, so groups are small and attention is very individual, and you can learn at your own pace (please enquire if you are a bigger group or need additional accommodation)
– You will learn by mirroring your teachers step by step, until you have mastered a technique
– The baking school and accommodation is all run by your hosts, who will be there for limitless advice in regards to baking, tips on the area, local activities, as well as anything you may need during your stay