Cape Winelands Cycle Tour
Cycle around the spectacular Winelands of Stellenbosch and surrounding areas and experience the magnificent countryside
Collecting you from your accommodation in Cape Town and surrounds, you have various route choices ranging from 80 km/50 miles to the more challenging 125 km/80 mile loop.
We are initially transported to the outskirts of Stellenbosch, the second oldest town in SA, for the start and then cycle for 10km to warm up the legs before tackling some of the undulating climbs to Stellenbosch and beyond.
Then over the Helshoogte Pass (literally Hell’s Heights, the name is much worse than the 242m gain over 5 km) and on to the final flat part to Franschhoek (final 18 km) for lunch. For those feeling really energetic, there is the option of climbing Franschhoek pass to the top (468m height gain over 5km) to the viewpoint for some awesome views. Additional 20km is available to the prison where Nelson Mandela was incarcerated if time permits on the return leg before being transported back to Cape Town to finish.
There are many opportunities for coffee/cake or lunch (I know all the best ones) along with the most advantageous photo stops as we ride together. This way we have the time to explore the routes around the historic vineyards and so much more WITHOUT racing it and missing all there is to see and experience.
Highlights of the Trip
- Historic Old Town of Stellenbosch
- Helshoogte Pass both ways
- Boschendal Cape Dutch Wine Estate
- Transfers to/from the start from your Hotel
- ROAD bike fitted with flat pedals and Helmet hire
- Accompanying cycling tour guide for the day
Water and water bottles, spare tubes, sunscreen etc
What's Not Included
Any food/drinks you may want during the day
Optional driver and support vehicle available for extra R1,000 (Rand) per day
EQUIPMENT ALONG WITH THE QUALIFIED CYCLING TOUR GUIDE!
- We have SPD/SPD SL and LOOK Keo pedals available for the bikes if you wish or bring your own and we will fit these to your bike. Your own shoes are required to participate.
- We provide very BASIC helmets so for maximum comfort best to bring your own if possible.
- PADDED CYCLING SHORTS are required for this tour otherwise you will get sore in very delicate places!
- We provide water bottles with chilled water at the start of the ride and bring spare tubes/lever/pump and a multi-tool en-route.
- We set up the bikes and adjust as necessary before we depart the vehicle.
- Transfers to/from your Hotel to the start are also included if within the local area.
- Please provide your address to confirm.
- Lunch/coffee/snacks and entry fees are for your own account.
Indemnity forms will need to be signed before departure.