Spicy tomato and chorizo soup recipe
This spicy tomato and chorizo soup recipe comes from the kitchen of our hosts Freya and Chef Maynard at their gourmet cookery school in the heart of the Loire Valley.
Once you’ve sampled this delicious recipe, you can join their gourmet cookery holiday in France – the home of gourmet cuisine – to try your hand at even more complex dishes.
- 25g butter
- 1 stick celery
- 1/4 leek
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 150g spicy chorizo sausage
- 1 large tin peeled plum tomatoes
- 100g tomato puree
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 onions
- 1 dessert spoon brown sugar
- 1 dessert spoon white vinegar
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes
- 200ml chicken stock
- 200ml cream
1. Dice the onions, slice and wash the leek and celery and finely slice the garlic and green chilli. Then, heat a medium to large-sized saucepan, melt the butter and add the chopped vegetables. Cook the veg gently over a medium heat until the onion, leeks and celery are softened but not coloured.
2. Slice 100g of the chorizo and add it to the saucepan with the paprika. Continue to cook for a couple of minutes until the oil has started to come out of the chorizo. Add the tinned tomatoes, sundried tomatoes and tomato puree and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the chicken stock and cook for a further 20 minutes. Blend the soup in a liquidiser, then pass through a sieve, using the back of a ladle to work it through the sieve.
4. Put back in a clean saucepan, and add the cream, sugar and vinegar. Season with salt to taste.
5. Finely dice the remaining chorizo and fry until just crispy. Serve the soup and garnish with the fried chorizo and a little more cream.
This soup makes for a lovely warming lunch, or you can use a smaller portion for a starter. It is best served with fresh crusty bread and butter, or warm focaccia bread.
If you’re wanting to make it in advance, it can be made the day before and will keep in the fridge in a covered container for 3 to 4 days after it has been made.
Interested in joining an acclaimed chef in their kitchen for an immersive cooking experience? Find out more about our cookery holidays in France and indulge your inner foodie.