Pizza stuffed with eggplant recipe
A wise man once said, “You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.”
October is pizza month, perfect time to indulge in these wonderful treats. As 1st October also happens to be vegetarian day, here’s a special vegetarian pizza recipe from our expert chefs in Italy, the birthplace of the modern pizza. No pepperoni, no sausage, but delicious all the same.
PIZZA RIPIENA di MELANZANE
Active Work Time 1 hour; Total Prep Time 1½ hours
400 grams flour
250 grams butter
1. On flat work surface, form well with flour.
2. Add butter and eggs to center. Mix with hands, gradually taking small portion of flour into the center to combine with eggs and butter until ingredients are well blended and dough is well compacted.
3. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate 20 minutes.
10 eggplants, peeled, thinly sliced in circles
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
300 grams Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
½ cup fresh Basil
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1. In frying pan, heat oil over high heat until hot. Add eggplant rounds; fry until slightly golden. Remove from pan; drain on paper towel.
2. In same pan, fry garlic and onion for 1 minute.
3. Add sliced tomatoes, salt and sugar. Cook for 25 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Grease deep round baking pan with butter.
3. Remove dough from refrigerator; cut into two pieces.
4. With floured rolling pin, roll each piece into crust about 30 centimeters in diameter and 1 centimeter thick.
5. Place one crust in bottom of pan; trim excess.
6. Spoon enough tomato sauce to cover crust.
7. Add separate layers of eggplant, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, basil and Parmesan cheese. Repeat process until all ingredients have been used.
8. Cover with second crust. Trim excess.
9. Bake for 35 minutes. Slice and serve.
To learn how to make pizza from our chefs themselves, visit them in Italy.
Click here to see what Cynthia had to say about her recent pizza making cookery holiday with Chef Baggio.
Will you cut your pizza in 4 pieces or in 6?