Italian cooking | Melanzane alla parmigiana recipe
This delicious Italian dish is an absolute classic! It can be commonly known as both melanzane alla parmigiana or parmigiana di melanzane.
It originates from the south of Italy and is simply fried aubergine layered with cheese (two types!) and tomato sauce. Comfort food at its very best. Trust the Italians!
Here is a traditional recipe from Chef Antonella. You can learn to cook more delicious Italian recipes on an Italian cooking holiday. But for now, let’s give it a go at home…
2 large eggplants
1 litre of sunflower oil
1 tbsp of flour
3 cups of tomato sauce with basil
1 mozzarella ball (or enough mozzarella in sheets)
1 cup of grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Remove the stem from each eggplant. Cut the eggplant into ½ cm slices. Dust each eggplant slice with flour and fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
3. Line a baking dish with a little of the tomato sauce, arrange a layer of eggplant slices and cover with a layer of mozzarella cheese, more tomato sauce and sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese.
4. Repeat the layers until all ingredients are used and finish with tomato sauce.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
6. Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve.
This dish works well as either a starter or main – it just depends on the size of your portions!
Serve with a glass of red wine. As the parmigiana has origins in Sicily, why not go for a bottle of Nero d’Avola? A dry red, similar to a shiraz.
Feeling inspired? Why not join one of our Italian cooking holidays in Italy? You’ll learn to cook classic Italian cuisine in the company of expert chefs and cooks with recipes that have been passed down through the generations.