Crab, prawn and ginger spring rolls recipe
This Asian recipe comes from the professional kitchen of our hosts Freya and Chef Maynard at their gourmet cookery school in the heart of the Loire Valley. While the school is in France, Chef Maynard’s skills range way beyond French cuisine, as you’ll see once you try this fantastic recipe.
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbs prawns
- 2 tbs crab meat
- 1 carrot
- 1 mange tout
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 tbs fresh coriander
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
- 4 sheets spring roll pastry
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 drops sesame oil
This is how you roll:
1. Finely slice the vegetables into a julienne (thin strips) and fry quickly in a very hot wok with a little cooking oil.
2. Add the ginger, coriander, crab meat, sesame oil and prawns, and season to taste with pepper, salt, and a squeeze of lemon. Remove from heat.
3. Cut the spring roll pastry into quarters, “glue” two quarters together on top of each other using egg whites as the adhesive.
4. Place a small amount of the cooked mixture on one end of the spring roll pastry, fold the sides over (see below) and roll up using a bit of egg white to stick the end down.
Chef serves these spring rolls with a homemade sweet chilli sauce, but you could serve with a bought sweet chilli sauce.
These can be prepped two or three days in advance and kept in the fridge in an airtight container, however they need to be cooked to order.
More about cooking with Chef Maynard…
Interested in joining this acclaimed chef for an immersive cooking experience? Once you’ve sampled this delectable recipes, you can join Chef Maynard for a gourmet cookery holiday in France – the home of gourmet cuisine – to try your hand at more traditional French recipes.