Go learn to surf at this excellent surf school based in Portugal's surf capital, Peniche, where you'll spend 14 nights in villa accommodation less than 5 minutes walk from the best surf beaches; enjoy 10 days of surf lessons taught by highly qualified instructors and full equipment hire.
Enjoy a surfing holiday on one of Portugal’s most stunning beaches with near perfect surf conditions. Situated on Baleal beach, this school is just 5km from Peniche and between June and September, you’ll have Cantinho da Baía beach all to yourselves as this surf school has exclusive access – perfect for all surfing levels.
You will be taught by highly qualified, experienced surf instructors who have been perfecting teaching surfing techniques for over 15 years. With a surf instructor and surf assistant for every 4 students, you will be up on your board in no time.
On your first day, you will be kitted out with a surf board and wet suit suitable for your level of experience. These will be yours for the week so you can practise your new skills outside the lessons.
Once you have your gear, you’ll hit the beach to start your surf lessons with a demonstration and training on the sand before hitting the water.
Head to the surf capital of the world for stunning beaches and great waves.
Enjoy sociable accommodation just 100m from the beach.
Take advantage of expert tuition and advice that'll get you surfing like a pro.
Your Local Host:
Bruno & team
Bruno’s surf camp is a family run business in Peniche Portugal. They are based on a stunning beach-front location at Europe’s most consistent and flexible surf spot.
Is it possible to learn to surf in one week? Yes, but only with great teachers. They take quality seriously. All the head instructors have surf rescue & lifeguard Read More
– Arrive in Baleal and check in to your accommodation from 3pm
– Please note the following check-in hours for your holiday (if you are late for check in a 10 Euro fee will apply upon arrival to the surf camp):
1 January-29 March, 1 November-31 December: 15:00 – 18:45
30 March-28 June & 20 September-31 October: 15:00 – 21:30
29 June-19 September: 15:00 – 23:00
– Take time to settle in and explore the local area
– The Surf House Hostel is a modern, clean building just 100m from the beach, ideal for young easy going surfers looking for a fun holiday
– You will bunk in with other surfers in a shared room
– The house has 5 rooms sleeping a maximum of 20 guests in total
– There are 3 bathrooms
– There is a large lounge with TV/DVD
– Kitchen facilities are available
– The house has a large patio overlooking the sea with BBQ facilities
– There is a reception area with free internet access for all guests
– WiFi is available
– There are two surf villas of very good quality very close to the beach, but in a quiet street, so you don’t have to worry about transport or dragging your board to the surf spot each day
– The villas have 4 rooms all sleeping up to 2 guests in each room
– You will share the house and bathroom with others
– There is a large lounge with TV and large fully equipped kitchen
– Rooms do not have air conditioning but given how close they are to the sea, they are naturally cooled by the sea breeze even in August
– Please note private rooms for solo travellers are not available to book in high season unless it is a last minute request
– The villa is cleaned every two days
A Typical Day
– Over 10 days you will have surfing lessons
– There will be two lessons each day of 1 hour 30 minutes each
– Lesson start times will depend on the weather and wave conditions, your instructor will keep you informed on a daily basis
– You will have three free days during your time there
– Wake up at your leisure and check out by 12pm
Established in 1993 by two brothers with a passion for surf, this surf school is located in Baleal, 5km north of Peniche, Portugal’s surf capital on the stunning Atlantic coastline. Baleal is uniquely positioned offering ideal conditions for both beginner and experienced surfers.
The water temperature is on average between 17 and 20 degrees from April to October, and the weather from 18 to 30 degrees. Making it an ideal destination all year round!
Lisbon (90km away, 1h 30m from school), you can also fly to Porto (280km away) and take a bus to Peniche
Complementary return transfers from Peniche bus station:
A return transfer from Peniche bus station to the surf camp is included in the price providing your arrival time is within 10:00-18:45.
14 nights accommodation in a shared dorm room with shared bathrooms in the Surf House Hostel or shared twin room with shared bathroom in the Villa
Please note that you may find dorm rooms are mixed male and female
Private Apartments may be available on request
10 days of surfing lessons
Note: You'll have around 3 hours of surf tuition per day split into 2 x 1h 30m lessons
Surf board and wet suit according to experience level for the full week so you can practice outside of your lessons
Sports Accident Insurance during the lessons
One surf trip & sightseeing tour
Free WiFi access
A visit to the surf board factory
Arrival & departure transfer from Peniche bus station to the hostel (10:00-18:45 on arrival)
Check in from 15:00 and check out 8 days later (7 nights) by 12pm
- Suitable for all levels of surfing experience
- Must be able to swim
- Minimum age 18
- Surf lessons run year round with a break around January and February
- The surf camp programme can begin on Saturday or Sunday
- Stunning Baleal beach, 5km north of Peniche, is uniquely positioned and offers ideal conditions and mild weather for both beginners and experienced surfers year round
- Water rarely dips below 14 degrees and gets to 20 degrees in the Summer months
- Surf equipment is included for the full week so you can practice surfing outside of your lessons and don't have to worry about surf board hire
- You will be kitted out in top quality Oxbow wetsuits
- This school has over 70 surf boards to choose from in sizes varying between 5'6" and 9'2"
- Surf board brands a plenty from BIC to NSP including reinforced plastic boards, epoxy boards and conventional fibre boards
- The school can make shortboards, malibus, and longboards in various sizes and thicknesses to match your skill level
- If you are a complete beginner, you can use a board with higher volume and float during the first few days, switching to a smaller, more maneuverable board as you improve
- Many people on these surf holidays travel solo as they make great singles holidays
- Hang out with your fellow surfers in the beach bar or visit the nearby club where you might find your surf instructor behind the turntables
- The package includes equipment hire for the full week so you can practice in your free time
- There's a weekly Wednesday beach bar-b-q and you'll be on the guest list for Bruno's bar at the weekends
- Day Trips to Lisbon are easy to take as they are just a short 1 ½ bus ride from the Surf Camp and give you the chance to explore this beautiful and cultural capital city
- You can visit the famous Mediaeval Village of Obidós, 30 minutes from Baleal, with its beautifully preserved streets and its huge castle Obidós offers one of the most popular attractions in Portugal. In high season the village is host to many festivals that will be included in your package if they take place on the week you are visiting.
- Just a short boat ride from the surf camp you will find the exquisite natural park Berlengas when you can take scuba diving lessons or enjoy a bit of snorkeling, your surf camp hosts will be more than happy to help advise you on these activities when you arrive.
- The Quinta dos Loridos is a perfect example of an 18th century manor house owned by a renowned wine producer. An incredible Oriental Garden has been built over an area of about 35 hectares and an artificial lake with around 6 thousand statues, combining a space of quietness and peace of mind.
- Trips can also be arranged to visit many of the prominent Portuguese wine producers in the area