Photography and Culture Holiday Essaouira
Discover Morocco off the beaten track on this unique 7 night photography & culture holiday in the coastal village of Essaouira; set in a traditional Moroccan Riad, this holiday is perfect for those looking to improve their skills but also taking time to relax & enjoy their holiday time.
Highlights of the Trip
- Stay in a traditional, beautifully decorated Moroccan Riad with a roof terrace.
- Great mix of photography tuition & cultural activities to discover Morocco.
- Cultural activities include cooking lessons, a local hamman & guided tours.
The coastal town of Essaouira, famous for its history, maze of Souks, rich culture, stunning landscapes and bright North African colours and flavours, is the perfect host for this 7 night combined photography and culture holiday with cooking classes.
Photographers will be inspired on this unique course as you’ll get out and about to discover the Souks, seascapes, Medinas, Argan oil producers, stunning sunsets and much more. You’ll also benefit from the small group tuition also included in the course, allowing you to produce photographs that go far beyond the usual holiday photo snaps
As well as learning the fundamentals of photography, this holiday is a real opportunity to explore your culinary side, the fascinating Moroccan culture as well as taking time to enjoy your well-earned holiday. It’s a chance to quietly study and absorb the richness of this enchanting town, create delicious authentic dishes to enjoy once you’re home and take in more than the usual tourist trails.
Accommodation is set in magnificent Riad in the centre of Essaouira which boasts a lovely roof terrace ideal for enjoying warm evenings sat outside admiring, and even photographing, stunning sunset light over the town.
- 7 nights accommodation in a Moroccan Riad
- Single travellers will have a private single room with NO additional single supplements
- 4 photography sessions on days 3, 4, 5 & 6
- Photography activities include, photographing people, sunset photography, a traditional fishing port, a UNESCO medina and a visit into the countryside and an Argan oil production cooperative
- Cooking workshops on day 2 and 5 (optional for day 5)
- Culture activities on day 3, 4 & 6 include a choice of visiting a local hammam, taking an historical tour, shopping in different markets, an arts scene tour, local music history introduction, learning how to make silver jewellery
- 2 cooking classes on the afternoons of days 2 & 5 lasting between 4-5 hours for each lesson for which the second is optional
- Cooking classes include a visit to a spice shop, cooking lesson and eating
- All transport to photography and cooking sessions
- All breakfasts
- Other lunches are taken out on location and are not included in the price (but should be inexpensive)
- Your holiday will start on day 2, the day after your arrival
- A return airport transfer to and from the Riad from Essaouira and Marrakech airport (with pick-up tailored for between 6-8pm for Marrakech airport, a supplement applies for arrivals and departures outside of these times)
What's Not Included
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses
Located in an enchanting boutique Riad in the centre of bustling Essaouira this excellent photography school in Morocco, which is just 300m from the beach, was established by Darren your tutor who has been teaching photography for over 25 years.
– Ideal location, just 300 metres from Essaouira beach in the heart of the Medina
– 2.5 hours from Morocco, transfers are included in the price at set times only for any time from Essaouira Airport
– A safe and friendly coastal city with a small town feel
– Accommodation in a beautiful Moroccan Riad, the Maison du Sud
– Sunny roof terrace providing the perfect place to sit back and relax with a Moroccan mint tea
– Friendly and qualified photography tutor with 25 years’ experience
– Knowledgeable native cookery team
– Central location with WiFi available on most floors and incredible hospitality
– Many facilities nearby including the outdoor markets, restaurants and cafes
– Soak up local life wandering the Souks to the exotic spirit of Morocco
Please note that prices for the holidays do not include flights. We recommend using www.skyscanner.net to check flights.
Essaouira or Marrakech (2 hours 30 mins drive away from Essaouira)
From Essaouira: please note that return transfers to and from Essaouira are included in the price at any time.
From Marrakech: return transfers from Marrakech Airport are included in the price if your arrival and departure times are as follows:
Arrival – pick up between approximately 6pm and 8pm from the airport
Departure – drop off arriving at the airport at approximately 6pm and 8pm
Please note that in the event of small group numbers, participants may be expected to share transfers from Marrakech which may mean arriving at the airport in good time for the flight.
Any arrivals or departures outside these times are charged at £65.
Who is it suitable for?
– Photography is suitable for all levels from beginners to advanced
– Minimum age 18
– The aim of this holiday for beginners is to learn more about their cameras and how to take better photographs
– The course is mainly focused on digital SLR photography and we strongly recommend you bring your own DSLR camera with you
– If you do not have a DSLR, there is a digital SLR with a 18-250mm lens available at the school for hire which costs £65 for the week (to be paid locally); please contact us in advance of booking to check availability to reserve hire of the school’s camera
– If you would like advice on which DSLR camera to buy before your holiday, your tutor will be happy to advise once the holiday has been confirmed
– Cooking lessons are suitable for all levels from complete beginners to competent cooks looking to gain an insight into local country style cooking
– Your hosts are British and Moroccan and all classes are taught in English
I’m travelling solo – can I join?
– This photography and culture holiday makes a great singles holiday as there are no single supplements
– Courses have a maximum of 6 people in each group, singles are very welcome as you’ll meet others with similar interests
– Essaouira is very relaxed and welcoming town with a great Bohemian feel because of its music and art scene
– The majority of people who take these courses are solo travellers and everyone loves the location and the social aspect of this course
– You’ll be guided on your cultural afternoons so you’re never far from a friendly face
When can I start?
– Holidays start on selected Saturdays throughout the year
What to bring
– Bring your own digital camera (with manual), charger, memory cards, tripod, filters and flash if you have them
– Point and shoot if you have one
– You may be able to hire the digital SLR at the school but please enquire about availability before you book
– Please bring suitable footwear for walking as you will be spending a lot of time exploring the different areas
Are meals included?
– All breakfasts are included daily
– Vegetarians can be catered for (please put this in the special requests box when booking)
– Lunches are included as part of your 2 cooking workshop days
– Lunches on non-cookery days are not included for the remaining days but are typically inexpensive in Morocco and your group usually eats lunch together
– Your hosts will be able to advise you on the best places to eat out