Gallop through the sea, canter across the dunes, ride through the Argan forests and explore the vast expanse of beach on horseback on this unique horse riding adventure holiday where you’ll stay 3 nights in a boutique Riad in Essaouira followed by 3 nights camping out as you explore Morocco.
If you are travelling in a group of 2 or more then you may arrive on any day. If you are travelling alone, then you will need to join a group, please contact us if you would like to travel solo.
Spend 7 nights / 8 days exploring the stunning landscapes on horseback as you ride across beaches, sand dunes, Argan forests, fishing villages and more on this unique Moroccan horse riding adventure holiday.
Start with 3 nights in a boutique Riad in the center of Medina and just a few minutes’ walk from the beach and spend your days getting to know your horse for the week and exploring the local beaches.
After you and your horse have been acquainted, you’ll start your 3 night / 4 day trek from nearby Diabat where the adventure really starts as you ride across sand dunes, explore local fishing villages and beautiful deserted sandy beaches where you might even come across turtles, ride alongside local shepherds with their herds of goats before ending up at the incredibly beautiful fishing village of Sidi Kaouki to camp out under the stars.
Sidi Kaouki is 17 miles South of Essaouira and was named after a 19th-century marabout, a wandering holy man or teacher, and his shrine by the sea still attracts pilgrims. More recently, it was famously used as the location for the second Sex and the City film. It’s a village steeped in history, full of local life and boasts near perfect kitesurf and surf conditions meaning its warm year round with a refreshing breeze.
At the end of your 4 day trek, head back to the Riad for your final night in Essaouira which has its own welcoming and bohemian atmosphere and is a great place to sit in beach-front cafes sipping mint tea and listening to Gnawa music reflecting on your horseriding adventure.
Explore wild scenery and secluded, unspoilt settlements on horseback.
Discover coastline secrets, hidden grottos and sunsets on abandoned beaches.
Enjoy Morocco as the Berber's did, from the back of your own horse.
Your Local Host:
Sara & team
These activity holidays in Essaouira, Morocco, were founded by Nasser and Sara. They met each other in Egypt, caught up in Tarifa, lived there for a couple of years, and ended up in Essaouira to set up their watersports centre. Their dream was to share their passion for the ocean, to bring people together and to create a 100 % surf vibe for thei Read More
– You’ll be collected from Essaouira airport and transferred to your accommodation in Essaouira (around 10-15 minute drive)
– You can check into your room any time after 3pm
– The afternoon and evening is free to settle into your luxurious Moroccan Riad and soak up the creative atmosphere
– The Riad accommodation is called the Riad Zelaka and is located within the old town of Medina and close to the shops and restaurants
– This welcoming and cosy riad features 6 rooms as well as a sunny terrace where BBQ are often held
– If the Riad is fully booked, you’ll stay in the Maison du Sud; this is beautiful 18th Century Riad situated just 300 metres from the sea right in the heart of the Medina
– Positioned in the heart of the pedestrianised old city the Riad has been renovated in Moorish style offering 8 rooms on a mezzanine floor
– There are 4 twin/double suites and 4 quadruple suites
– The rooms all open onto a light-filled interior patio with traditional Moroccan tiling
– All rooms are en-suite with lounge area, furnished in traditional Moroccan style
– It offers a beautiful sunny roof terrace with views of the sea and the roof of the Mellah (walled Jewish quarter)
– Moroccan meals served on request in the traditional restaurant and there are plenty of nearby cafes and restaurants to eat at if you prefer to go out and prices are typically very reasonable
– Friendly and hospitable staff adds to the charm and the character of the Riad
– On day 1, your room will be ready for you to check in to any time after 3pm and check out is by 11am on day 7
– WiFi is available and works best in the lounge and lobby area
Getting to Know Your Horse and Riding
– Enjoy a leisurely breakfast at the Riad before heading to the stables to meet the horses
– Beginners will start with a 1-2 hour introductory tutorial to ensure a full understanding of how to move through the paces of walk, trot and canter as well as how to steer and halt your horse before setting off to explore the coast line
– More experienced riders will ride out with a guide for a 2 hour beach discovery in Essaouira
Accommodation Tonight you’ll stay at the Riad in Essaouira.
– Today is free for you to relax by the beach or explore the souks and medinas of vibrant Essaouira
What can I do in my free time? – Life is easy in Essaouira and it offers you a great opportunity to explore and experience both the culture and outdoor activities
– A vibrant and relaxed town Essaouira is a rich with history and culture a recognised UNESCO world heritage site
– The mix of whitewashed fishing ports, bright North African technicolor and picture-postcard ramparts has been the inspiration for artists the world over particularly for musicians and photographers helping to give the town its unique creative atmosphere especially at the time of international music festivals
– You can sit in the beach-front cafes and sipping drinks listening to Gnawa, a deep soulful sound derived from sub-Saharan Africa
– You can visit the maze of Souks, the relaxing hammans or enjoy a mint tea on your terrace as the sun sets
Accommodation Tonight you’ll stay at the Riad in Essaouira.
Trekking, Sand Dunes, Berber Villages, Beaches and Argan Oil
– After breakfast you will check out of the Riad and will head to Diabat where your trek will start (note: your luggage will be taken for you but please pack lightly)
– Today you’ll start your horseback adventure
– Follow the river through bushes and climb hills and dunes, you will see shepherds with their herds of goats or dromedaries and donkeys will pass by and if you are lucky you will see also a turtle in the sand
– Later in the day, you’ll pass the Berber village of Ghazoua before arriving in the evening at the coastal village of Sidi Hmad o Mhand
– You’ll camp in a Moroccan tent this evening in the village and will visit an Argan-oil production which produces the famous argan oil using traditional methods
– Argan oil is claimed to be the ‘ultimate cosmetic product’ and this is your chance to meet the people producing the oil and to see how it’s done
– After the visit, enjoy dinner together with the group
About the Camping
– You’ll spend 3 nights camping, the first night at a camp in the village Sidi Hmad o Mhand and the next two nights at different camps in and around the village of Sidi Kaouki which will both be beach based camps
– You’ll share a tent and bathroom facilities although available, are basic camping style
– Note: The tents are separate male/female tents
– As the villages are near the sea, your tents are kept cool with the sea breeze so you don’t have to worry too much about the heat at night
– NOTE: in the unlikely event of the weather being inclement, you will not stay in a tent, you will stay at a local guesthouse instead
Argan Forests, Fishing Villages and Deserted Beaches
– After breakfast, saddle up for your second day of trekking
– Today you’ll ride through the biggest Argan forests in the region heading towards Sidi Kaouki, a relaxed fishing village 17 miles South of Essaouira
– The village was named after a 19th-century marabout, a wandering holy man or teacher, and his shrine by the sea still attracts pilgrims. More recently, it was famously used as the location for the second Sex and the City film. It’s a village steeped in history, full of local life and boasts near perfect kitesurf and surf conditions meaning its warm year round with a refreshing breeze
– Tonight you’ll sleep at a lonesome beach and will enjoy sundown at this special place, well deserved after a full day on horseback
Beaches and Refreshing Swims
– After breakfast, you might want to enjoy a dip in the sea before saddling up a day of beach trekking
– Today long beaches and good gallops await you
– Pass by fisherman at work and after a morning exploring the beautiful beaches, stop for lunch at a grotto on the beach where you can take a refreshing bath in the sea
– In the afternoon, pass by the lighthouse at Cap Sim and ride through bushes and climb sand dunes before ending up back near Sidi Kaouki for another night camping out with dinner
Return to Essaouira
– After breakfast, get ready for your ride back to Essaouira (around 17-20km)
– Your route will follow the stunning beaches so there’ll be plenty of time to gallop through the sea and canter along the sand before arriving back to Diabat in the afternoon
– After saying a fond farewell to your horse, you’ll be transferred back to the boutique Riad in Essaouira for your last night
– The evening is free for you to relax, take a long bath to relax those horse riding muscles and perhaps head out to the Medina for dinner
Accommodation Tonight you’ll stay at the Riad in Essaouira.
– After breakfast you will check out of the Riad Zelaka in time to be taken to Essaouira airport for your return flight
In the old town of Essaouira in Morocco right on the beautiful Atlantic coast this excellent adventure school specialises in surfing, kitesurfing and horse riding. Your friendly and fully qualified sports instructors and new state of the art equipment will ensure you make the most of your adventure holiday staying in one of the lovely rooms in the boutique Moroccan Riad in the heart of the Medina for a surf, kite surf or horse riding holiday with a difference.
Please note that prices for the holidays do not include flights. We recommend using www.skyscanner.net to check flights.
Essaouira (10-15 minute drive)
Marrakech (2.5 hours drive away from Essaouira)
Agadir (2.5-3 hours drive from Essaouira)
Please note that 24 hour return transfers to and from Essaouira airport are included in the price.
4 nights’ accommodation at the Riad Zelaka in Essaouira (on nights 1-3 and 7)
3 nights during your trek (2 night camping, 1 night in a guest house)
Breakfast daily at the Riad in Essaouira
Breakfast, lunch and dinner during your trek
A 2 hour horse riding lesson for beginners on day 2 or a 2 hour trek by the beach for more experienced riders
A total of 4 days of trek
Return airport transfer from Essaouira Airport to your accommodation
- Suitable for all levels from complete beginners to advanced riders looking for a horse riding adventure in a magical location
- Note: beginners will start with an introductory tutorial to ensure a full understanding of how to move through the paces of walk, trot and canter as well as how to steer and halt your horse before setting off to explore the coast line and before starting the trek
- Minimum age 8 (under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult)
- Horse riding is great fun for everyone but it’s best to bear in mind that it can be physically demanding sometimes especially during the 4 day trek so a reasonable level of fitness is required
- Your instructors speak English and French
- These horse riding holidays make great singles holidays and singles will have their own private room in the Riad (note: shared rooms with other solo travellers are not offered)
- We recommend that solo travellers join an existing group; it is possible for only one person to join the holiday but there will be a surcharge of €50 per day
- The stables are situated just 3km outside of Essaouira in a small village called Diabat
- Your riding teacher Jawad established the riding centre many years ago and has over 25 years riding experience, he’s a great horseman and guide with a passion for animals and the countryside
- Jawad was born in Essaouira and has been riding all his life and has a deep knowledge of the local area
- You may also be guided by Hicham who also has a wealth of experience with horses and guiding
- Due to the stunning countryside and coastal trails, trekking is a big focus here and you can ride to your heart’s content
- All treks cater for mixed abilities to ensure everybody get the most out of the experience
- The centre has 12 Arab-Berber horses and ponies varying in age from 2 to 20 years
- The horses are well trained, schooled and suitable for all levels of riders from beginners to advanced
- Sun protection
- Helmet if you wish to wear one as riding hats are not provided
- Flash light/head lamp
- Comfortable trousers for riding in, ideally with no seams (preferably not jeans)
- Sleeping bag
- Wet wipes
- Swim wear
- Flip flops
- Warm clothes for the evenings