Tuscan Cooking Short Break
Truly immerse yourself in Italian cuisine, and learn to prepare home-cooked, traditional dishes from simple pasta sauces to incredible Tuscan soups, in the authentic setting of an old Italian 'palazzo' run by Mirella and her husband.
Highlights of the Trip
- Stay in an authentic 17th-century Italian palace with a swimming pool
- Learn to cook traditional Italian and Tuscan dishes
- Really get to know Italian cuisine, from the ingredients to the skills used in cooking
Tucked away in the rolling hills of the Lunigiana region of rural Tuscany, you will find the restored 400-year-old palazzo and home of this wonderful Italian cooking break.
Once you have arrived and settled in for your 3 night/4 day holiday, it’s time to enjoy the fun and relaxed atmosphere will have you cooking up a storm in one of the house kitchens. Here, you will create a wide range of authentic Italian dishes, from antipasti to dessert, with your local Italian chef.
Accommodation is set in an impressive 17th-century palazzo, that used to belong to an Italian noble family and has now been lovingly renovated to provide 5 self-contained apartments. Each apartment has its own individual style, a well-equipped kitchen, and bedrooms with private ensuite bathrooms.
The grounds include a swimming pool, beautiful garden lawns and stunning views of the surrounding mountains and rural landscape – an ideal setting to relax and sample delicious local produce.
- 3 nights accommodation at the palazzo in a twin/double room with a private bathroom in one of the self-contained apartments
- Please note: prices are per person and based on two people travelling together and sharing
- A single supplement applies for those travelling solo who wish to book a private room
- Welcome drinks and tasting of local produce on arrival on day 1
- Italian cookery lessons on day 2 and 3
- Cookery lessons start at 10.30am and finish at 2pm
- Self-catering breakfast each morning at the palazzo
- All cooking materials and ingredients
- The delicious meals you’ve learnt to cook during your lessons with wine for your dinners
- Check-in any time after 3pm on day 1 and check-out by 10am on day 4
- Please note: this holiday is only suitable for a minimum of two people
- It is not possible to reach the house by public transport so car hire is essential with this holiday
What's Not Included
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenses
- Car hire
Pisa (1 hour 10 mins away)
Genova (1 hour 30 mins away)
Florence (2 hours away)
It is ideal if you have a car to get to the palazzo. Your accommodation is set in a beautiful part of Tuscany and a car is recommended if you wish to enjoy the stunning countryside and charming villages in the area, as there is no public transport and taxis are very limited.
The drive from the airport is an easy one, the roads are very good, and you’ll see some of the best scenery that this rugged region of northern Tuscany has to offer along the way.
A car would also be ideal if you would like to travel to the nearest grocery shops in the next village, about 6km away.
The nearest motorway is the A376/A384.
All of the major airports have train stations but you would need to take a taxi from the airport to the village. We don’t recommend public transport and taxis can be expensive, which is why we recommend car hire for these holidays.
Full, detailed directions will be shown on your booking confirmation voucher.
Who is it suitable for?
– This cookery holiday welcomes all levels from complete beginners to experienced cooks but is more suitable for those looking to learn about the fundamental basics of Italian cuisine
– Minimum age 18
– Your hosts are Italian but speak excellent English, all cooking classes are taught in English or Italian
I’m travelling solo – can I join?
– This holiday requires a minimum of 2 people to run but singles are welcome to join an existing group
– Please note there are no shared room options on this course
When can I start?
– Cooking holidays are for 3 nights/4 days
– This holiday only runs during specifics periods in the year
– This holiday is ‘on request’ so please email us and we’ll check availability for your preferred day of arrival as quickly as possible
What can I do in my free time?
– This Italian cookery and wine holiday is perfectly situated to explore this beautiful part of undiscovered northern Tuscany easily
– You are within 2.5 hours of many Italian major cities; Florence, Genova, Pisa, and Milan
– Beaches and the coast are just 30 minutes away by car, or you can take a train from nearby La Spezia along the coast to visit the 5 villages that make up Cinque Terre
– The nearest shops and grocery stores are about 6km away
– The hamlet of Tavernelle is very small but there is a good family-run restaurant a short walk from the palazzo
– Your hosts will give you lots of information on what activities are on offer in the local area such as the local markets, restaurants, walking and more
– We recommended you hire a car to fully explore the area as there are so many scenic drives throughout the region