Snow Leopard Trail
Uley has gained a reputation for the high number of snow leopards as well as a fantastic spot to see Himalayan Fox, Bearded and Himalayan Griffon Vultures and Golden eagles.
Ideal period for spotting Snow Leopard is from October to March, that’s from end of autumn to beginning of spring. These elusive cats are spotted throughout the Hemis National Park. Beside Snow Leopard there is always a good chance of spotting many other famous and rare animals like “Nyan” or “Tibetan Argali” (Ovis Ammon); Himalayan Blue Sheep, called “Bharal” or “Napo” (Pseudois Nayaur); Uriel, locally called “Shapo” (Ovis Orientalis), Asiatic Ibex (Capra Sibirica), and among the predators are Red Fox, Tibetan Wolf, Lynx, Pallas Cat, and many others.
Highlights of the Trip
- Drive safely and comfortably in a jeep driven by experienced local drivers.
- Stay at heated lodges with attached bathrooms.
- Explore and photograph rare wildlife of the mountains in their snowy realm.
- Possibly see and photograph one of the world’s most elusive cats – the endangered Snow Leopard!
- Leh: In a Premium category hotel on twin sharing basis.
- Uley: Luxury lodges on double sharing.
- Food: All meals excluding lunch on Day 1, 2, and 7.
- Travel: Transfers and sightseeing in SUV/MUV.
- Complimentary Sack & cap.
- Permit fees.
- Local guide & Spotters for Snow leopard tracking from Day 04 – 06.
- One experienced Tour Leader from “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.”
What's Not Included
- Travel to & from Leh.
- Camera fees.
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to camping team, driver, guide, hotel staff, etc.
This tour is recommended for people with a good level of physical fitness. The highest altitude that we attain on this tour is 4500m/14,765 ft. We do not recommend this tour to people with chronic problems like epilepsy and those related to blood pressure or heart or diabetes.The biggest advantage of Uley is the fantastic road access that takes guests right up to the wildlife spots in most occasions. We do encourage guests to walk (simple walks) into the valleys and to some low passes as these are the best ways to connect with the starkness of the landscape and develop a real appreciation and understanding the wildlife of the region.
- Permits & Documents:
- The permits to visit Khardungla is processed once you are in Leh. It’s mandatory that all the participants carrya valid photo id., (Driving License, Voter Id., Passport or Adhar Card) for issuance of permits and 02 passport size photographs.
- Baggage: Hand Baggage is not allowed on Leh – Delhi flight.
Day temperatures average minus 13oC and at night it drops to minus 30oC. However, the temperatures would vary a lot depending on the season and altitude.
The tour involves exposure to extreme cold temperature upto minus 30 degrees Celsius, causing cold injuries & sickness. One must exercise caution & protect themselves from these temperatures. Acute mountain sickness (AMS) can be caused due to high altitudes. The AMS may be avoided by taking precautions given in the document attached on high altitudes, please read the document carefully. The high altitude can cause Acute Mountain Sickness and may lead to serious critical medical conditions such as cerebral or pulmonary edema.
On this tour we drive on the ice & snow-covered roads which can be dangerous.
The weather can change dramatically causing blizzards, heavy snowfall and severe drop in temperatures, causing severe physical hardships and at times one can be stranded in the vehicle during the excursions.
- Kit List:Please check the kit list attached herewith carefully as this kit list is different from the kit list of our normal high- altitude treks.
- Imp. Contact Details:Hotel Address in Leh along with important contact nos. of local coordinator and/or Tour Leader and Details of complimentary Airport transfers in Leh, if any, will be sent on mail 10 days in advance.
- Imp. Notes:
Flights in Leh sector are subject to weather condition, so it is advised that, you should book your return international flight 2-3 days after your expected date of arrival in New Delhi.
Vehicles in Ladakh are not at disposal. Any additional transfers or pick up drops are to be settled at actual. The vehicles in Ladakh are hired from Leh union hence there is a possibility of change of vehicles every day, however we will try for the same vehicles.