A mostly downhill back road cycling trip (45kms) winding through tea estates and smaller towns to Hatton. Scenic train ride back to Nuwara Eliya.
Explore the intricacies of the tea estates surrounding Nuwara Eliya town while you cycle down to Hatton.
Nuwara Eliya, the ‘Little England’ of Sri Lanka, is set against beautiful backdrops of mountains, valleys, waterfalls and tea plantations. It is one of the coldest places on the Island, but ironically is just like an English spring day. Making it the perfect location to explore by cycle.
Your route will start in Nuwara Eliya town on the main road up to Nanu Oya station. From here we head off into the arteries of the Radella Tea Plantation with some off road sections. The trail winds its way down till you reach the busy town of Tallawakelle. Spend some time walking around the town. Grab a tea at the local “Te Kade” before continuing down to Hatton through beautiful winding roads.
Have lunch at the Railway station before boarding the 13:30 train for the 1.5hr ride back up to Nanu Oya. Grab a window seat or a spot by the door and enjoy the slow train ride back.
• Enjoyable cycling through the heart of tea plantations.
• Enjoyable cycling through the heart of tea plantations
.• Beautiful views of surrounding valleys
.• Scenic train ride through the hills
• Lead cycling guide
• Mountain bikes, helmets, water bottles and support equipment
• Water and refreshments en route
• General class train tickets
• Picnic lunch
• Transport from Nanu Oya back to Nuwara Eliya town by Tuk Tuk
• First aid kit
What's Not Included
• Transport to hotels more than 5km from Nuwara Eliya town
Pick from your hotel if it’s within a 5km radius of Nuwara Eliya town.