Perfume Making Holiday
Set in a lovely 4 star hotel in the heart of France's perfume capital Grasse, this 2 night perfume making break will inspire you with the aromas of this enchanting area of France; discover the secrets of traditional perfumers on your 2 days of 'Rose of May' and 'Organ of Flavours' courses.
Highlights of the Trip
- Personal perfume making assessment and daily tuition.
- Accommodation just a 10 minute walk from the perfume studio.
- Set in a stunning location just outside of Grasse, the capital of perfume.
Set in Grasse, the beautiful French town surrounded by rolling fields of lavender, jasmine, mimosa, orange blossom and violets, your hotel provides the perfect base for a perfume making holiday. Just 30 minutes from Nice airport and 15 minutes from the main Boulevard in Cannes, the perfume school and fragrance studio is also just 800 metres away from the hotel.
On both days the enthusiastic and engaging professionals will guide you through the architecture of a good perfume’s top, middle and base notes. You will learn about the different families of scents along with their typical ingredients and discover the secrets of achieving a truly harmonious combination for the perfect perfume.
The Rose of May perfume course will encourage you to explore your creative side and imagination to create your own perfume which you can take home in a personalised perfume bottle.
On the Organ of Flavours course, you will learn how to make your own unique home fragrance inspired by over 40 culinary scents, from summer scents, childhood flavours and oriental spices. You’ll choose your scents from within a chosen menu relating to cuisine and aromas that will stimulate your olfactory memory and your taste buds to create a delicious personal home fragrance.
Your bespoke home fragrance will be structured just like a real perfume as you compose the base (starter), the heart (main course) and top notes (dessert) as you choose from an Organ of over 40 fragrances under the guidance of a Creation Master.
- 2 nights accommodation in a private twin/double room with ensuite bathroom at the 4* Best Western Elixir Grasse in Grasse
- Please note: prices are per person and based on 2 people sharing travelling together. Single travellers can be accommodated a compulsory single room supplement
- 2 hours of perfume making tuition at 10am (day 2)
- 1.5 hours of home fragrance tuition at 10am (day 3)
- All course materials
- 15 ml bottle of the school’s latest perfume creation
- 100ml French crafted vaporizer bottle of your own signature perfume
- 100ml French crafted vaporizer bottle of your own signature Home Fragrance and it’s matching scent diffuser with reeds
- Your unique formulas will be registered and kept in a confidential data bank and may be re-ordered at your convenience
- Diploma ceremony
- Glass of champagne
- Breakfast daily
- Check in any time after 2pm on day 1 and check out by 11am on day 3
- A tour of the perfume factory
- You need make your own way to the factory which is a 10 minutes walk from the perfume school and the walk is quite steep. You also need to walk from the hotel to the perfume school, the walk is about 15 minutes
- Please note: you will be in tuition until 12am on the day of departure so please inform us at the time of booking if you have early flights on day 3 and we will do our best to accommodate your second lesson on day 2
What's Not Included
- The perfume school is closed on Sundays from October-March and no lessons will take place on a Sunday during this period (scheduled lessons will instead take place on the same day as your other lesson (2 courses in 1 day).
Where better to go to make perfume than the world’s capital of perfume, Grasse. Grasse lies at the heart of the French Riviera, in the midst of hills, forests and canyons. This picturesque location is surrounded by rolling fields of lavender, jasmine, mimosa, orange blossom, roses and violets and is an idyllic setting for any perfume making course or perfume making holiday.
Grasse is a charming medieval village that has enjoyed a prospering perfume industry since the 17th century, producing over two-thirds of France’s natural aromas used both for perfume and in produce.
The life of the village revolves around the flowers where numerous festivals illuminate the town centre with their flower parades all in honour of the rich floral industry in the city’s past and present. Whatever time of year you chose to visit you will be captivated by the beautiful sweet aromas all around you. Lavender all summer. Try visiting in February and you will catch mimosa in the air, orange blossoms in April and jasmine in the Autumn.
The perfume school itself was established in the 18th century and is part of the oldest Perfumery in France. It supplied the court of King Louis over 250 years ago with olive oils, pastes and perfumes and is also home to the famous Chanel number 5 and other great perfume creations.
– 30 minutes from Nice airport
– 10 minutes from Cannes
– Charming medieval village
– Perfect setting for exploring Nice and Cannes
– Perfume makers following a 250 year old tradition
– Traditional factory and museum antique production equipment
– Laboratory and conditioning room where the origins of perfume can be traced
– A fully equipped fragrance studio
– Guided visits in all major European languages
– Accommodation on the perfume breaks is offered at the 4* Best Western Elixir Grasse is a 40 minute walk from Grasse centre or a short bus ride
– The hotel is a 15 minute walk from the hotel (800 metres) or 1 stop on the bus
– It is a 10 minute walk from the perfume studio to the factory for the tour
– Grasse is very hilly and steep which adds to its charm
The 4* Best Western Elixir Grasse accommodation
– The lovely 4* hotel is just a short walk (15 minutes downhill) from the perfume school
– The Best Western Elixir Grasse is located in a peaceful area outside of the centre of Grasse (about 3km from Grasse center)
– If you wish to visit the centre of Grasse, you can take a bus from outside the hotel or it is a 40 minute walk uphill
– It is just 15km from Boulevard de la Croisette in Cannes, 30 minutes from Nice airport and close to the town’s 3 golf courses
– The accommodation where you’ll stay is modern and comfortable and all twin/double rooms were renovated in 2009 and have air conditioning, satellite TV, WiFi Internet access, safe and bathroom with shower or bath
– Ideally located for the exploration of Grasse, Nice, Cannes and the surrounding areas, a perfect setting for your perfume making short break
– The hotel offers a beautiful swimming pool for all guests (not heated)
– Prices are based on 2 people sharing a room
– If you are travelling solo, you can reserve your own private room for a compulsory single supplement (shared rooms for solo travellers are not offered at this hotel)
– Accommodation is included for 2 nights / 3 days
– Check in anytime after 2pm on day 1 and check out by 11am on day 3
Who is it suitable for?
– Perfume making holidays are suitable for all levels from beginners seeking an introduction to the joys of perfume making through to advanced practitioners
– Minimum age 8 (under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult)
I’m a solo traveller – can I join?
– This perfume making holiday makes a great singles holiday
– You can book your own private double/twin room for a compulsory single supplement, to check prices see the ‘Costings and Extras’ tab
– Shared single rooms for solo travellers are not offered as an option at this hotel
When can I start?
– Dates are flexible and you can start any day throughout the year
– Perfume making holidays are for 2 nights/3 days
– Please note: you will be in tuition until 12pm on the day of departure please inform us at the time of booking if you have early flights on day 3 and we will do our best to accommodate your second lesson on day 2
– Please note: the perfume school is closed on Sundays from October to March (approx.) and no lessons will take place on a Sunday during this period, scheduled lessons will instead take place on the same day as your other lesson (2 courses in 1 day)
– If you wish to stay for extra nights, please email to check availability for your preferred duration and we will do our best to accommodate you
– If dates appear ‘on request’, please email us [email protected] and we’ll check availability for your preferred day of arrival as quickly as possible
Your perfume making tutor
– Your perfumery tutors are known as the ‘Nose’ or creation masters and both tutors have many years’ experience in perfumery
– They are enthusiastic and accommodating focusing on individuals within the group
– With a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw upon their professional approach will inspire your perfume making practice
– Lessons can be taught in either French or English, please state your preference during the booking process
What will I learn?
– Learn about the architecture of good perfume and how to balance top, middle and base notes
-You will learn how to use your olfactory memories to create a delicious home fragrance
– You will learn about the different families of scents including their ingredients and traditional components
– You will discover the secrets of creating a harmonious balance of all the notes to create your own personalised perfume that you will be able to take home with you
– Choosing from 140 essences (natural and a small amount of synthetics), you will design your own signature scent with the help of the creation master
– You will enjoy a tour of the traditional factory where you will discover the excellent collection of museum pieces as well as the antique production equipment
– The tour will guide you through the laboratory and the conditioning room where you will enjoy a thorough explanation of the extraction methods of aromatic raw materials, flowers, plants and aromatic woods
– You will learn all about how a perfume is made from the raw materials to the perfume itself, by means of distillation and enfleurage
– Please note: the perfume factory is closed daily between 12-2pm and you will need to walk there yourself (about 15 minutes away)
Rose of May:
– 140 essences are available to choose from
– These essences are classified in 14 olfactive families, and in top notes/heart notes/base notes
– They are compositions of several ingredients, all created by our Parfumeur to allow for harmonious blends
Organ of Flavors :
– 40 fragrances related to cuisine and aromas
Are meals included?
– All breakfasts are included in the price
What can I do in my free time?
– As France’s perfume capital there are so many things to do in this enchanting area of France
– Grasse’s winding streets are fantastic for spellbinding meander through the historical town
– In Grasse you will discover many beautiful squares fountains and cafe and restaurants which are perfect for watching the world go by
– You can visit Notre-Dame du Puy cathedral built in the Provençal Romanesque style in the 11th century
– There are many fields, gardens and conservatories filled with perfumed plants from the region of Grasse, a botanical garden at the Bastide du Parfumeur is a highlight
– The Grasse area is good for outdoor activities, including hiking in the hills horse riding, mountain biking and playing golf and tennis