One day French cookery course
Enhance your trip to Provence with this whirlwind day cooking lesson which starts with a tour of Aix and continues with local culinary stops on the way to your cookery lesson; learn regional secrets, get your hands dirty in the country kitchen, and complete the day with a feast fit for a French King.
Your holiday in Provence will be greatly enriched by this inspiring one day cookery lesson which will provide insights only known to a local as you step out for a day exploring Aix-en-Provence and discover all the local cooking secrets.
The cookery school is located a mere 15 minute drive from the centre of Aix-en-Provence, and you will join your party at the Aix-en-Provence tourism office and be whisked away to begin your culinary day, without need to worry about a car or public transport – you will be taken care of upon arrival.
Start your culinary adventure with a tour of Aix, guided by your chef and host, Gilles, before heading to the local market to purchase the fresh seasonal ingredients for that days menu. On your way to your country kitchen, you will stop off at a Chateau for some local French wine.
During the hands-on French cookery lesson, you’ll prepare a carefully thought out 3 course menu cooking classic French dishes as delicious appetizers, meat or seafood, gorgeous vegetable side dishes, and of course dessert. As well as local cheese always appearing on the menu!
Daily menus are based on local cuisine using locally sourced and, where possible, organic produce and will vary depending on the season. The menu of the day will be influenced on what are the freshest and best quality ingredients that day. After your cooking lesson, you’ll sit down together and enjoy the wonderful meal you have prepared with local wine and cheese.
Finish your day full of food, wine, culture, new friends and new Provencal recipes that you can re-create and share for your loved ones back home.
Located in the countryside just outside of Aix-en-Provence, is your gorgeous farmhouse cooking school nestled on 12 acres of lush property. No Provencal kitchen would be complete without a wild Provencal ‘Garrigue’, filled with aromatic herbs for you to wander through, gather and add to your dishes of the day.
Classes are laid back, fun and taught by Gilles, who began cooking as a child with his mother and Grandmother. Although he is French, his cooking classes will be taught in English. To better understand Gilles philosophy, it is best to read the quote he lives by, stated by Joël Robuchon, “You cannot cook if you don’t love people”.
This cooking class in Provence, will not be scholastic or academic, but more of a genuine experience about cooking, meeting people and sharing the love for the finer things in life-cooking, food & wine. Get immersed in an authentic Provencal atmosphere – spend the day with Gilles and feel the love!
– Set in the Provence countryside on 12 acres of land
– Meeting point in the centre of Aix-en-Provence with transport to and from the farmhouse included
– Just 10 minutes from the centre of Aix-en-Provence
– Classes taught by English speaking chef with years of experience
– Fun, relaxed and sociable atmosphere
Who is it suitable for?
– Cookery classes are suitable for all levels from complete beginners to experienced cooks
– Minimum age 10 (under 18’s must be accompanied by an adult)
– Your chef is French but lessons will be held in English
I’m travelling solo – can I join?
– These cookery classes are perfect for solo travellers and singles are welcome to join an existing group
When can I start?
– The cooking school is open year round with the exception of French holidays and Christmas
– Cooking classes tend to run on most Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays throughout the year with some additional start dates on Saturdays & Sundays during the summer; please contact us with your preferred dates and we will check what is available for you
– Classes start at 9:30am and finish around 3:30pm depending on how long you linger over lunch
Please note: occasionally the menu will vary and may include alternative dishes according to the season, any dietary requirements must be communicated to us prior to booking
Moules haute mer à la Provençale – Fresh Mussels Provençal style
Beignets de fleurs de courgettes – Fried zucchini flowers
Brandade de morue – Cod fish “Brandade”
Panisses de l’Estaque – Sliced chickpea mix
Main courses and side dishes
Artichauds en barigoule – Purple artichokes heart simmered with salted pork & white wine
Carré d’agneau au beurre d’anchois – Rack of lamb with an anchovy butter
Supions à l’ail – Small squids browned with garlic & parsley
Tian de légumes – Cooked vegetables tian
Bourride Côte Bleu – Local fish with an Aïoli
Crêpes Suzette – French crêpes
Fruits pochés au sirop de menthe – Fruits in poached mint syrup
Tarte aux abricot à la poudre d’amande – Almond crust apricot tart
Compression de pommes rôties au marc du Garlaban – Roasted apples on a pie crust pastry
Coupe de fruits au vin rouge – Summer provençal fruits in red wine
About your host
– Classes are informal, fun, and full of family and local recipe secrets all taught to you by Gilles
– Gilles was born and raised in Marseille, France, and moved to the Aix-en-Provence area in 1994 after a 4 year stay in southern California
– His love of food came from his mother and grandmothers through watching, practising and tasting in their kitchens
What will I learn?
– Your cooking class will be a mix of demonstration with plenty of hands-on cooking to give you the skills to prepare and cook a delicious 3 course traditional French menu
– You will be preparing everything from scratch – the only exception will be the cheese and wine
– Gilles will email you the recipes you covered together so you can recreate them at home